News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why is a Black Touchone WE trimline so rare?

Started by markosjal, May 15, 2017, 11:32:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markosjal

I have been surfing ebay for nearly a year now looking for a black Trimline touchtone , either WE , SC or ITT , but the classic trimline mechanical bell , etc.

I have seen some rotary black trimlines and newer Coretelco and chinese clones but I am not finding any of the old trimline / trendline / slimline/ slenderet touch tone phones in black

Just curuious

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

unbeldi

BSP 500-120-100 in 1965 specified that black was a non-promoted color for Trimline and Princess telephones, as well as a few other types.  This meant that the color was not stocked and only available on special customer request.

Sargeguy

I've got a black AT&T marked one.  Modular with pulse to tone switch.  Made in Thailand.  8)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on May 15, 2017, 11:32:38 AM
I have been surfing ebay for nearly a year now looking for a black Trimline touchtone , either WE , SC or ITT , but the classic trimline mechanical bell , etc.

I got lucky a bit over 2 years ago when I found this black ~1983 at an antique store for just under $15. Any early round button Trimline.

I don't see these anymore anywhere. I got a black rotary a bit ago which is near completion so no pictures. Seems I haven't found a "collectible" phone in an antique store in my area for about a year now. Might have to move to Brimfield.

Anytime I see a black Trimline or Princess at an antique store, it's mine. Black is a bit rare.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13277.0

WEBellSystemChristian

I would assume that another way to get a black Trimline would be to order a set of phones for an office, all in the same color. You would get a Call Director, Multilines, 500s/2500s, all in standard black; and if you needed a compact phone for a wall or small desk, you would order a Trimline. It wouldn't necessarily be special order, as it would be ordered as a set with other phones for a business setting.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Babybearjs

I'm surprised to hear of their rarity. When I first got my phone service back in 1981, I was told that there was no rental charge for Black.... any other color, yes... but black was exempt for the rental fee.... did this only apply to the 500 and the 2500 phjones in black?  or the whole basic line?
John

poplar1

There was a one-time charge for color 500s and 554s.

There was no one-time color charge for Princess, Trimline, or any Touch-tone set.

There was no "rental" or monthly charge for color.

There were one-time charges for Trimline ($5 for example) and Princess ($7). Also, in addition to the monthly charge for an extension , there was a premium for Princess (70 cents a month), Trimline ($1.25/mo.). Touch-tone was $2 a month per line regardless of the number of phones.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dan/Panther

I searched for quite some time looking for a black Princess, Finally a fellow collector pitied me and sold me one. So now I have my Black Princess and I love Her.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

And then there was the Kennedy black Princess phone documented in TCI's singing wires. And these forum topics discussing the "rarity" of black phones when color was being marketed.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16488.0
     http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10250.0

Number, please!

Wow!  I didn't know the black Trimline is so rare.  I'm sitting right next to mine, a daily user!  It's Western Electric and says something on the bottom like not for sale.  (don't tell me, I know.)  I also have a brown WE Trimline wall phone as a daily user in my workshop.  The brown color is not so attractive.  I haven't even opened up either one to check the dates.
Stu