Started by MagicMo, August 14, 2013, 12:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Can you please tell me what these are?
Marked 7d, 7b and 7e.
Thank you
Practice Kindness :)

Babybearjs

They are BUZZERS! rated 12-18 Volts AC or DC.
John

MagicMo

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 14, 2013, 01:08:01 AM
They are BUZZERS! rated 12-18 Volts AC or DC.

Zap!
Thank You!
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

WesternElectricBen

I'm wondering what are they for, I always tought multiline phones were pretty much the only thing that used buzzers and they had internal buzzers?

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 14, 2013, 01:22:42 AM
I'm wondering what are they for, I always tought multiline phones were pretty much the only thing that used buzzers and they had internal buzzers?

Ben

Ben, yes they are often used with multi-line phones. While there is a bracket for mounting one inside a 440- or 460- series phone, this is not often seen because it requires removal of the ringer.

They are usually employed with pushbuttons for the intercom path.

They are mounted externally for the same reason that 202s don't have internal ringers, induction coils or condensers.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: MagicMo on August 14, 2013, 12:49:32 AM
Can you please tell me what these are?
Marked 7d, 7b and 7e.
Thank you

"Used for local signals at station systems, key equipments, etc. and in other a-c or d-c low voltage signaling circuits."

Code            D-C Operating Voltage     A-C Operating Voltage, 50-60 cycles* 
7A                         14-40                                     15-21
7B                           2-  6                                      4-  9
7C                           2-  8                                      3-  8
7D                           4-15                                      4-15
7E                          10-20                                    10-20
7F                          20-60                                    20-60       

*The 7F can also be used with 16-20 cycle ringing current. 

Source: Bell System Practices, Section C54.351, Issue 1, 12-1-44

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on August 14, 2013, 02:20:05 PM

Ben

Ben, yes they are often used with multi-line phones. While there is a bracket for mounting one inside a 440- or 460- series phone, this is not often seen because it requires removal of the ringer.

They are usually employed with pushbuttons for the intercom path.

They are mounted externally for the same reason that 202s don't have internal ringers, induction coils or condensers.

Oh I understand, so what your saying, I thought it had to be due to some intercom thing. Now, thearioticaly I could use them as a ringer but just get the buzz?

One more question, the buzz on those things is like the scary for buzzers of the 70s? Haha

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 14, 2013, 06:48:14 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on August 14, 2013, 02:20:05 PM

Ben

Ben, yes they are often used with multi-line phones. While there is a 26A bracket for mounting one inside a 440- or 460- series phone, this is not often done because it requires removal of the ringer.

These buzzers were usually employed with pushbuttons for the intercom path.

Oh I understand, so what your saying, I thought it had to be due to some intercom thing. Now, thearioticaly I could use them as a ringer but just get the buzz?

One more question, the buzz on those things is like the scary for buzzers of the 70s? Haha

Ben

Ben, only the 7F can be used with ringing current (in series with a capacitor if you are connecting it directly to one line).

But if you want buzzers on incoming calls to more than one line on a 1A2 system, use the 7D or 7E for 10 Volts AC, the 7E for 18VAC, or the 7F with a ringing generator.

With your shoebox 551 KSU, you have to choose which voltage---10VAC 60~, 18VAC 60~, or 90VAC 20~ or 30~--you want the 400-type KTUs to send out if you want to use common audible signaling. (This is where one buzzer or one ringer per station is used for ringing on one or more lines rather than connecting a ringer directly to one of the lines appearing on the set.)

WesternElectricBen

Oh, I see, it would be interesting with my shoebox and try them as a regular phone ringer.

Ben

Babybearjs

they can also be used as a doorbell buzzer!
John

poplar1

Here are the 549A (4-button) and 551A (single button) that are used with the 7D and 7E buzzers. Also pictured is the next generation of buzzers. which operated from 18 Volts AC. These buzzers could be mounted inside a 6-button phone (with a plastic bracket).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151099605218

WesternElectricBen

Don't those buttons just connect to the base on a key set?
Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 15, 2013, 10:57:15 PM
Don't those buttons just connect to the base on a key set?
Ben

That is optional. The 551A shown here is fastened to a 77A bracket, which hooks on the lip of the basepan of the phone. A short length of jumper wire could be wired to a spare pair inside the phone. Some techs just moved 2 wires from inside the phone to the terminals on the 551A.

This 549A has a long cord and cork on the bottom; so it sat next to the phone. If the phone had an amphenol plug, you would connect the 5 leads from the 549A to a 149A adapter,  to access some of the violet pairs in the cable, even if these pairs were not extended to the phone (as in a 564 or 2564).

There are larger brackets which may fit the 549A; I'm trying to remember.

poplar1

The 18-volt AC buzzer was not made by WE; so it has a KS- part number: KS-8108-L2,
(L2=List 2.)

Here's someone's stash of them. If you have an H-type ringer in your 564---looks like a regular C4 ringer in a 500 but has only one gong---then you can mount the buzzer where the other gong would have been. Otherwise, you need a bracket that goes over the ringer coil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181177738566

poplar1

The 10-volt  KS-20419 buzzer is shown here. This is the one you see most often in WE multi-line sets. While the KS-8108-L2 was usually connected to the yellow-orange pair (pair 17), this one was factory wired in 6=button WE sets to the yellow-green pair (pair 18).

Most WE power supplies for 1A2 Key have both 18VAC and 10VAC taps. Be sure to use the right one depending on which type buzzers you use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271254188876