"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New retro made UK trimphone's whats inside the case? Added photos & video

Started by troydog, August 05, 2013, 02:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troydog

Photos of the other one with the rotary dial and info in my last post

Ok this is something I been wanting to know whats inside them UK phones the remakes of a classic. I will say the first one is the touch tone but I also got coming in a few days the rotary version remake from the UK. It is a rotary with 11 holes for * # and does tone. I will add them photos here also.

First this phone is made for or by wild and wolf ltd bath UK. I will say the phone is not bad good sound nice ring and fake weight it has lead inside it for weight. Line cord that came with it is 20 feet or a little more long and also red.

I do not know much about the real phone from the UK so what I do know. No sound tube you see I take everything apart and have a look here are the photos.

WesternElectricBen

Whats the brand, Crosley makes american phone repros. They have the same dial layout and use circuit bords.

Ben

troydog

The brand is wild and wolf. I am in the usa and also seen this company makes a 302 wonder if it is different the crosley?

http://www.wildandwolf.com/home_interior/telephones

The next one I got coming is this one I never seen them sold in the us and been wanting to know what the rotary dial is in this remakes. I also wonder how the heck it works. So once it gets here I willopen this one up also.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steepletone-ST1975RDWB-Trimphone-Dial-New-/290944862451

Edit to add this is some of that brands phones. All or most are real rotary
http://tinyurl.com/l4uws4h

Main reason I bought these is I have strighttalk home phone and it will not work on pulse at all. I use my real 302's on my landline from windstream.

twocvbloke

The dial in the Steepletone Trimphone is probably the same style as in the red 500 clone that I had, the dial being the most interesting part in how it worked... :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6161.0

As novelty items, they do look reasonably close (even the Channel 4 show "Food unwrapped" uses a red 500 clone for the show), but they will never last as long as the originals... :)

troydog

Cool you are the first I seen with one of them phones. I first seen them on dx.com a few years ago at a high price. This is the one they sell but never seen a review on it at all.
http://dx.com/p/classic-land-line-telephone-red-29704

twocvbloke

The phone wasn't that great compared with the real deal, and the speakerphone feature was just useless cos you couldn't hear it properly, but they all vary, some are worse than others, and I've seen some on ebay that are broken (bad wiring probably), but some people like them, I'm not that keen on them... :D

And you might want to edit your post with the long Amazon link replacing it with http://tinyurl.com/l4uws4h (same URL, but shortened down considerably) as it's kind of going off-screen making subsequent posts partially disappear (it's a quirk of the forum software)... :)

McHeath

I always like to take a gander inside the guts of these repop phones.  I agree that this one is pretty similar to the Crosley 500 which I have, probably made in the same factory in China eh?

My Crosley works very well, and it fools more than a few non-phone-phanatics into thinking it's the real deal.  That amazes me, I mean there are buttons sticking out of the dial, but then again that's what I look for. ;D

troydog

Thanks for the link tip never used tiny link before.

I love to open things odd things are the best. Now royal mail is taking forever to get this phone here. lol Can not wait to open the thing up to see if it is like the others with the rotary tone dial. I will say so far the one I got with buttons the wild and wolf is doing great so far.

I do wonder user book says not for use outside the EU. Heck it works great state side so far no fcc at my door so happy. The handset cord is not bad but to replace it might be a problem if I ever had to. tone ringer is nice could be louder. Some of the reviews on amazon UK for this type phone made me think. I seen a few say it has a 999 button that is easy for kids to push. Well we may not have 999 here 911 is the way here. But this button is not for that it is a 2 way button bottom is for redial and top part is a flash for 2 way calling. lol

twocvbloke

Quote from: troydog on August 07, 2013, 02:26:33 AMI do wonder user book says not for use outside the EU. Heck it works great state side so far no fcc at my door so happy.

Strictly speaking, most modern phones are made in China, so for them to say that is a bit daft... :D

Plus all telephones work on the same principles, you get some variations, but these days the standards are pretty much universal worldwide, so a phone made for France would work in Aussieland, an aussie phone would work in the USA, and as we know, a USA phone will work in the UK... ;D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 07, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
And you might want to edit your post with the long Amazon link replacing it with http://tinyurl.com/l4uws4h (same URL, but shortened down considerably) as it's kind of going off-screen making subsequent posts partially disappear (it's a quirk of the forum software)... :)

Or insert the link as a LINK TO AMAZON using the forum 'link' option (the globe third from left on the bottom row of BBC tags.

troydog

It is here and biy is it not anything like the real phone it was copied from.

Ok photos and my take on this one. It looks ok and that is it. The red one I got first makes this look like a toy. it works sounds good but cheap plastic and light weight at that. What about that dial. It works ok but to fast and sounds like a toy pull car or vcr from the 1970's. This thing goes so fast it could kill a kids finger lol

twocvbloke

Quote from: troydog on August 12, 2013, 08:24:16 PMWhat about that dial. It works ok but to fast and sounds like a toy pull car or vcr from the 1970's. This thing goes so fast it could kill a kids finger lol

Sounds pretty much like my Goji-berry red Steepletone 500 clone's dial (might be the same mechanism, or at least based on the same design), I think I too described it as sounding like an old VHS recorder ejecting a tape or something like that, and yeah, it turned waaaaay too fast to be believable... :D

I wouldn't even offer them to children as toys myself... :D

troydog

I got the plastic cover on the underside where I could see under it. This dieal does not use leds but metal fingers on a pad the set of fingers 2 of them stop on the pad and when you bump the finger stop and dials that number. I think could be wrong the way this works it will not last long before metal wears out on the fingers or the board they run on.

One cool mod could be done easy with this dial you could add green led and light it up. The background white plastic with numbers and letters would look nice with a led behind it. If I knew how I would do this mod but not sure where to hook or how to hook the wires for a led.he

troydog

Here is the best photo of under the black cover I can get. Also a hint of what it would look like with a light in the dial. Note case is also lighted up but would not be with a led only on the dial. I used a led bulb from the camera to light it up to see how it would look. I would use green led for it.

dsk

Interesting!
Does the finger-stop move, and activate teh micro switch when you dial, and reach the finger-stop?

dsk