News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

One "good" side benefit from a lot of people being home, besides time to work on phones, is more posts! I always monitor the forum throughout the day at work. There were some days when I only read 2 or 3 posts all day. Those were usually from our members across the pond. Now I am seeing new posts all day long ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

compubit

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm deemed "essential", so off to an empty office I go. Lots on my "to do" list at home, even before starting with phones... (I do enjoy seeing a few more posts on the forum when I get home.)

Stay safe everyone!
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Key2871

KEN

tubaman

I had the joy of queuing for 75 minutes this morning to do the weekly Tesco shop. They've made a theme park type queuing system in the carpark from delivery cages and are running pretty much a one person out, one person in system. Everyone was happy enough though and I had a laugh and a joke with a few total strangers.
Once in the shop they've put arrows in the aisles to try and encourage a one way system, which is mostly working well.
Most goods are still available but some such as flour and rice were absent.
On the way home I passed Aldi and noticed that the queue there was only about 5 people. Unfortunately their range is far more limited than Tesco's.
Strange times indeed.
:)

19and41

On the other hand, I had an Email from Sam's club saying they had special hours for seniors and high risk folks on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.  I went yesterday and the parking lot was full and there was a crowd of people in front of the store entrance pretty much touching each other.  There must've been 200 people there.  I saw that as I was driving in and I just drove on around and left.  I can't imagine there were that many seniors and high risk types.  I know they were certainly high risk bunching up like that.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

tubaman

The Tesco in the photo gives priority from 9 - 10 AM Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday for NHS workers and Monday, Wednesday, Friday for elderly and vulnerable customers.
I've not seen it in action though as I don't qualify on either count.

twocvbloke

I think all tesco stores are alternating between NHS and Elderly & Vulnerable customers, mine's doing the same, but I haven't been there at those times myself though, so don't know how they're managing it or who turns up...

Didn't quite get the NHS worker one though cos most of them would be at work between 9 & 10am, my doctor certainly is (their surgery is next to my local tesco, so they could go if needed, but, I think they're more needed in their job) as they open the doors at 8:30am... ???

FABphones

It has been 12 days since I last ventured out to the supermarket. We needed milk, so today was the chosen day for us to stock up on necessities. I am the allocated shopper for the household and these spaced out supermarket trips are the only time I go out. No one else goes out at all. We are on week three of lockdown (the Attestation - movement form - has to be completed for each trip out, Police checks are in force to ensure this is complied with and heavy fines are payable for anyone without).

I am trying to be careful. Face mask, and a snood over that ::),  this week I have been pulling up Brambles and my hands are shredded so gloves were on. I anti-bac the trolley before use. On my return to the vehicle I anti-bac the gloves before removing (and discard them into bin once home).
Hands are then anti-bac'd too. The car handles in and out then also receive an anti-bac along with the steering wheel, gear stick and any other parts I may have touched.

Once home no one is allowed to touch anything I bring in. I even anti-bac the soles of my shoes (I guess farm living makes me think of that).

In my experience so far, the supermarkets have been almost business as usual. Today I saw more face masks. No queues to get into the store, only one person in front of me at the checkout, and no one behind until I was practically through.

No special allocated hours here, from what I have seen, the stores have fewer shoppers in them.

——

Three Teddy Bears accompanied me today, all taking part in the 'Bear Hunt'.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

One good thing is that stocks are beginning to look more normal here, granted there's still things missing (toilet roll, dry goods & cleaning supplies), but the rest of the shelves in Tesco were reasonably stocked, well, aside from the lagers in the alcohol aisle, since pubs were closed people have been clearing the boxes of cheap lager out, thankfully leaving the quality beers alone for people with taste, like me...  ;D

countryman

I just read an article that compared the sales figures of a couple goods and beer was the most constant item. Huh, I thought we Germans are beer drinkers?
I stocked a couple boxes, just in case. Harder to replace than the much discussed paper products.

19and41

You're beer makers as well.  In many countries.  Many of our national brands were started by German immigrants.  They knew the right way to make it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Owain

Quote from: tubaman on April 03, 2020, 09:52:05 AM
I had the joy of queuing for 75 minutes this morning to do the weekly Tesco shop.

Crikey. I haven't tried a Tesco shop under the new rules. Asda had a queue of about 20-30 people across the car park, and Aldi was 15, so I got stuff from Aldi. They even had a little pasta left. No pasta sauce though.

Need to go to Tesco soon though. Problem is Aldi milk only lasts for about 7 days; Tesco and Asda milk is ok for 10 days after purchase.

So far we don't have to carry permission forms - not sure what people without printers at home do.

Now here's a thought - hardly anyone uses public phones any more, but if this had happened in the 1970s would the GPO (or equivalent) have sent out phone cleaning teams, or would the kiosks have been chained shut?

Jim Stettler

Colorado is on stay at home until April 30. Today they put in a mask requirement.

We need to wear masks when outside, It is supposed to be a cool mask that you made at home with materials on hand.  we should have fun with it.
Masks may help, they won't hurt.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

To be honest, a bandana a la the old west bad guys would do as well.
— Arthur C. Clarke