"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Copper Plating

Started by dencins, March 19, 2011, 10:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Wow is an understatement. Is the process profitable for you, how long from start to finish on the transmitter ?
I have several Guitar parts I'd like to restore.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dencins

Thanks to all.

While I have made progress, I am still on a Learning Curve on this.  I have some parts that give  repeatable results like transmitter faceplates, screws and mounting bolts.  I still have others that need more work before I will be comfortable with them like back cups and ringer bells.  Also I am starting to learn what needs to be done for plating solution maintenance, amperage, etc. to keep this sustainable.  It is surprising how many variables are involved.

Originally my thought was to develop a process that could be used by anyone.  Now that it is apparent that will not happen, I am thinking about offering a low cost service for hobbyists and restorers for small brass parts.  I will keep the forum informed of my progress.

Dennis

dencins

Thanks Dan.

Since I am still learning, it is taking much longer than it should but since I am retired time is not an issue.  It keeps me out of trouble doing something else.  Several steps do not require participation like stripping the nickel - just put it in the bath and come back later.  Other steps like buffing take time but that depends how well you can buff.

My guess is doing low volume, small parts and charging at a level that is affordable for hobbyists will not fit a businss model to be profitable. 

One thing to be careful is some base metals require cyanide to plate like steel - not something I am going to do.

Dennis