Started by Doug Rose, January 08, 2015, 05:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Even n the wrong category, this went high. I'm still looking for one!.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371227736559?

<11 bids, $70.00 US plus $13 expedited shipping.>
Kidphone

AE40FAN

I'd like to find one as well!  Not willing to pay that much though...

stub

Doug,
           I saw this also and asked the seller if it was original or a repo that was made by Jim Aita. He said he didn't know. I picked up one made by Jim when I paid him a visit . He is in the process of moving right now but you could call him and ask if he has anymore. Check your PM.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Waterland

Can someone post a picture of what this would look like attached to a phone?  I can't visualize it on an AE40.

AE_Collector

Gary Goff had some made a number of years ago as well. I think it was maybe 15 of them or so. He wasn't happy with the quality of them and so as far as I know he never tried having any more made.

The first AE 40's had no handle at all. There was just the two "plunger blocks", cast zink blocks that the plungers protruded through. The hookswitch assembly screws into these blocks from inside the phone which is what holds them in place.  The two little indents in the Bakelite case on each side of the cradle area were intended as places for your fingers to squeeze betwen one side and the other of the cradle in order to carry the phone base while talking on the phone. There was even a rare earlier version of the body that didn't have these indents, I think Paul-f might have a picture of an ivory 40 without the indents.

The "Buttlers Handle" was the first version of a carry handle for the AE 40. When they designed the "Buttlers Handle" they simply drilled a small hole into the side of each of the "plunger blocks" for the handle to snap into. I have seen quite a few 40's with no handle but with the holes in the blocks. When not in use the "Butlers Handle" lies down on the back of the phone out of the way. I am quite certain that many "Butlers handles" "let go" while the phone was being carried around resulting in broken phone cases and/or toes.

They redesigned the handle again to the more familar solid "bar" handle. Looking at it it is fairly obvious that it was a bit of an afterthought with the handle sweeping backwards from the plunger blocks in order for there to be a bit of room to get your fingers into.

Terry

Dave F

wds

These handles certainly don't come up very often.  Here's one that sold recently, $90.95 including shipping.
Dave

Doug Rose

Dave...I saw it when it was listed. I just couldn't spend $90 on it. It looked perfect, just couldn't say......what did Tom Cruise say in Risky Business? Just couldn't validate spending that kind of cash on a handle. I probably will regret it..Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

I would like to find a "decked out" AE40, one with a Butler's Handle, extensicord, and chrome or gold fingerwheel and HS bands, in an elusive color.

It would go great with my "no frills" 40 that's in standard black (bakelite is in beautiful shape), and has a black painted fingerwheel, no bands on the handset, and a standard straight cord; it has no extra amenities whatsoever. Despite the seemingly desperate need for some Automatic Electric collectors' to upgrade phones like this with bands and other frills, I wouldn't change it for the world! :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford