News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302, What handset looks better

Started by persido, December 15, 2012, 02:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

I just bought a 1945 WE 302, it's in great shape, and working fine. It had a F1 handset with a curly cord. I was Looking at it, and I did not like how the F1 handset and cord looked on it. I bought an E1 handset and brown cord, I placed them on the 302 and what a huge difference. I think it makes the phone look more prestigious. What do you think ? Anyone agree with me.

Doug Rose

The very first WE 302 made in late 36 and early 37 had an E1 on them. They were short lived. It is a matter of preference, but the correct handset is the F1 for your year 302. Either way, 302s are just so cool. Its your phone, display how you like it!....Doug
Kidphone

George Knighton

Personally, I prefer the balanced look of the F1.  But I'm just one dumb old man, and it's your phone.

:-)
Annoying new poster.

dsk

Quote from: George Knighton on December 15, 2012, 03:14:51 PM
Personally, I prefer the balanced look of the F1.  But I'm just one dumb old man, and it's your phone.

:-)

Maybe you not are the only dumb old man :D, I go for the F1 too.

dsk

sebbel

I must be getting old too*... :)  I personally only like the E1 on a B1 or D1 base only. I find it looks awkward on the 302.

*At 33 I'm probably the youngest old man around hereƩ
Seb.

Dennis Markham

I like the look of the E1 with the straight cord on the 302 series phone.  Preferably on the metal models.

twocvbloke

Quote from: sebbel on December 15, 2012, 03:45:48 PM*At 33 I'm probably the youngest old man around hereƩ

Nope, I'm 27 and definitely a young fogey... :D

And I too think the F1 looks better on the 302, the E1 makes it look like it's a mix & match (even if the early ones it was original), the F1 just looks right to match the the smooth lines of the 302... :)

Greg G.

Personally, my preference is for an F1 on a 302.  I would replace the curly cord with a straight one though.  I feel the same in reverse for D1s and B1s, (aka 202s) I prefer an E1 handset on those.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GTE Rick

Small in size ... Smart in Style ... and it has a lighted dial.

Phonesrfun

I guess I'll just chime in too.

The earliest 302's with metal cases ca. 1937, 1938 had the E1 handset.  The cradle was originally designed for the E1.  The E1 does look rather dignified sitting on a 302.

The one nice thing about phone collecting is that sometimes there are no right answers to a question.  There are those who will swear up and down that a 302 made in 1945 would never have had an E1 supplied with it.  That may be true, but given all the parts swapping that went on during the war with various material shortages, who is to say that a later model 302 was not occasionally married up with an E1 as a repair done in the field.

The other nice thing about phone collecting is that these are our phones to do with as we please.  Swapping a handset is a far cry from the atrocities of making lamps out of phones, however.

A friendly word of caution, however..  If you ever go to sell it on e-Bay and want to claim that it is all original, you might get some flack from the purists out there.

Again, like you, I kind of like the E1 on the 302.
-Bill G

old_stuff_hound

I like them both, but I like them both better with the straight cord

George Knighton

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on December 16, 2012, 07:38:35 AM
I like them both, but I like them both better with the straight cord
I like the newer curled handset cords for the 302's that are in daily use.

But...that's just a personal decision based on subjective practicality.

The 302's that will not be in daily use are being constructed with straight cords.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

PhoneSeeker

The E-1 looks a bit too "busy" in it's shape for the 302 base. The F-1 handset is a smoother, cleaner design and seems to match the sharper angular look of the 302 base. I took my E-1 from my B-1 and tried it on my 302 and then put my E-1 back on my B-1 base and the E-1 just looks more at home on the B-1 rather than on the 302. The curves of the E-1 matches the curves of the B-1 base  far more than the 302 base. Especially with the curves on the B-1 base handset rest. However, the F-1 handset on the B-1 base blends a bit better because the bell shapes of the transmitter and receiver ends mimicks the bell shape of the B-1 base.

But then this is just my opinion. The swap sounds like it wouldn't damage any original parts in the process so it sounds like you can switch it back and forth as your mood dictates.

Have fun with it!

HowardPgh

I like the F1 on the 302 they were designed to be together.
The E1 looks clunky on the normal 302 base.
I my opinion, the E handset was mated with the earliest 302 base because the F1 wasn't ready for production yet. I think the short cradle ears make the E1 look right on the early base.
Howard

BTW- Persido, are you the guy who found the original type 302 in the trash?
Howard

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 15, 2012, 02:35:02 PM
Either way, 302s are just so cool.

Thanks, Doug. Now I know why I keep buying them, mostly in metal, but recently only when my wife isn't looking. ;D