News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 2554 no T/T

Started by ....., August 14, 2015, 10:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The touch pad on the NE 2554 that I picked up the other day does not work. With the phone plugged in I get dial tone, but when I push the buttons the dial tone goes faint and I get no tones from any of the buttons. Any ideas?

unbeldi

Have your tried reversing the polarity of the phone line?
No. 35 dials needed proper polarity and your set doesn't seem to have a polarity guard.

No, I haven't. I'll do that later this afternoon and report what happens. I'm some what of a newbie went it comes to phone wiring.

Thanks
Doug

Didn't work. Still dial tone, but no t/t.

NorthernElectric

I am not 100% sure on this but I think you need to move the slate-white hookswitch wire from RR to F on the network.  I recently got a 2500 dialing out by doing this after reading a few posts on here that suggested it.  This connection disagrees with this diagram, but agrees with this one

PS.  I reread my post and I think I may have actually done the opposite, so that it was connected like yours.  The phone is no longer a 2500, so I can't check it.  It was originally a 500 and refurbed into a 2500.  I turned it back into a 500.  Still, it seems odd that the 2 diagrams I linked to show that wire connected to different terminals, albeit using different networks.
Cliff

I changed out the key pad with another one and it worked. Then I put the old key pad into the donor phone and it didn't work. So I guess it's the key pad.

twocvbloke

Could be dirty contacts on the dial, though a bit more in-depth to clean up compared to a rotary dial's contacts, but still achievable with a bit of card stock and patience... :)

poplar1

Quote from: NorthernElectric on August 14, 2015, 04:43:08 PM
I am not 100% sure on this but I think you need to move the slate-white hookswitch wire from RR to F on the network.  I recently got a 2500 dialing out by doing this after reading a few posts on here that suggested it.  This connection disagrees with this diagram, but agrees with this one

PS.  I reread my post and I think I may have actually done the opposite, so that it was connected like yours.  The phone is no longer a 2500, so I can't check it.  It was originally a 500 and refurbed into a 2500.  I turned it back into a 500.  Still, it seems odd that the 2 diagrams I linked to show that wire connected to different terminals, albeit using different networks.

I'm not really familiar with these, but I think the NT  QSQE2500AX -- with the switchhook slate-white lead on F -- is the set with a combined network/dial ("E phone?")...notice that the "dial network" are all one unit. The other terminals --"F1, C1, TX1, TX2, TX3, CS3, RX and RX2" -- are also different from the 425-type network found in the NE 2500D or 2554B.

So the "disagree" diagram is the correct one for this NE 2554B. Shown in  practice 502-510-450CA. It shows the 35Q3A dial in the diagram, which is apparently wired the same as the "NE35Q3AX" dial shown in the photo.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

It's the key pad, I sprayed it with contact cleaner and compressed air. Nothing, just a faint dial tone when the buttons are pushed. It's beyond capabilities.