News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

24 Volt relays

Started by Babybearjs, December 18, 2017, 02:50:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

just a quick question.... I was given 2 24 volt relays. can these be wired in series with the phone line like a 1A KTU? I have a candlestick phone with a 685 subset... I'd like to be able to trigger the A-Lead on my system with it..... can it be done with one of these relays?
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on December 18, 2017, 02:50:08 AM
just a quick question.... I was given 2 24 volt relays. can these be wired in series with the phone line like a 1A KTU? I have a candlestick phone with a 685 subset... I'd like to be able to trigger the A-Lead on my system with it..... can it be done with one of these relays?

Is 24 volts the coil voltage or the contact rating and if the coil, what is the voltage operating range? Just curious.

RB

unless it is an "A" relay, i think, the only thing you will do is kill the signal tryin to energies the relays.
I could be wrong, it has happened. :)

rdelius

Most plug in relays require more current to operate.and willnot work

Babybearjs

OK.... sounds good.... the coils are rated for 24 volts.... I'll have to experiment with these... but because they are regular relays you might be right about them not working....
John

RB

the voltage is ok, its the resistance, and current draw that will be too excessive.
the relays may close, but there will not be any room for the voice.

Babybearjs

are there different values of a 24 volt relay for phones? what was the actual working voltage of 1A KTU?
John

poplar1

You can use a WE 6B KTU from the 1A Key family with your desk stand.

A retired Bell guy told me that he sometimes used a 6B relay, for example, in a 2-story house that already had triple (3-conductor) inside wire going to the upstairs extension. By using the 6B, located downstairs, he didn't have to replace the triple IW with quad in order to have A-lead control on the upstairs extension.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

I finally tested the relay, and as you guys said, it didn't work, properly... funny thing was... I didn't loose any dial tone, and the relay would seize... but then release while still on... like there wasn't enough current to keep it going. which makes me think there is a big difference between a traditional land line and VOIP service.... these little modems just can't hang on to the system... (low amperage)
John

RB

You are correct...
pots lines used batteries runnin 24 to 48 volts, nearly unlimited current. "with in reason of course".
digital, or your voip runs on 5 volts, and not much current.
a converter of some sort, is needed to convert pots level to voip level, and back again.
Thats why it is sometimes difficult connecting yesterday to today.

Babybearjs

so I discovered..... If Centurylink would offer faster speeds here in my area, I'd go back... but Cableone offers the best deal right now.... 2 lines plus internet for less then $110.00/Month.... with centurylink... it was the taxes that killed me.... The taxes on Cable TV lines are much better.... ;D
John