News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring up candlestick to Western Electric 300k?

Started by Partyline4, February 02, 2018, 05:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Partyline4

I've been trying to hook up my phone line to this Western Electric 300K box, and so far haven't had any luck!

I can see where L1 and L2 are, but nothing happens when taking the receiver off the hookswitch.

The box looks pretty stock...Nothing old out of place it appears. I've got an AL20 hooked up to the corresponding terminals correctly, R G Y..etc..

If anyone has had any experience wiring 300k boxes I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

poplar1

Phones with hand generators and dry cells are called "local battery" telephone sets. The 300K, like the large oak wall phones, isn't compatible with modern phone lines.

It would work well as an intercom connected with other local battery set(s), if you add batteries.

On a modern line, since there is no capacitor in the ringer circuit, it will keep the line "off-hook" even if the receiver is on the hook. Also, it would not be a good idea to turn the crank if you hook the 300K to a  digital central office (land line) or Magic Jack, cable modem, etc., unless you first disconnect the generator. You would still need batteries to power the transmitter.

Much easier to use a "common battery" sidetone subset: 534A, 584A, 295A, or 334A. You can connect multiple phones to one sidetone subset.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Partyline4

Quote from: poplar1 on February 02, 2018, 09:49:01 PM
Phones with hand generators and dry cells are called "local battery" telephone sets. The 300K, like the large oak wall phones, isn't compatible with modern phone lines.

It would work well as an intercom connected with other local battery set(s), if you add batteries.

On a modern line, since there is no capacitor in the ringer circuit, it will keep the line "off-hook" even if the receiver is on the hook. Also, it would not be a good idea to turn the crank if you hook the 300K to a  digital central office (land line) or Magic Jack, cable modem, etc., unless you first disconnect the generator. You would still need batteries to power the transmitter.

Much easier to use a "common battery" sidetone subset: 534A, 584A, 295A, or 334A. You can connect multiple phones to one sidetone subset.

I see. I used to always hook candles up to a 302 base to test them out. Thanks

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on February 02, 2018, 09:49:01 PM

I know this is an old post with David's response,

"It would work well as an intercom connected with other local battery set(s), if you add batteries."

If you have two hand generator cranks connected for and Intercom, what battery would be needed on the circuit? On each end or just the circuit....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Doug
Different phones have different components, "resistance varies".
Most would say you need batts in both units.
However, if you only have 2 phones, you can use a 5volt dc supply. "one with good filtering".
I use the blk and yellow wires for power on all my LB phones fitted with a modular cord.
This all connects to my switchboard which supplies 5v out on each extension.
Use a 4 wire cable, connect T & R to both phones, and which ever colors are left, to the Batt terms in both.
Connect the 5v supply to one of the phones Batt connectors, and good to go.
It will supply power to both phones with no problems...on MOST phones.
I can't speak for every type, but it works for my mixture of phones!  :)
What are you thinking about coupling???

Doug Rose

Rod...I have these Kellogg cranks, one is a 5 bar, the other is a 3 bar and I was thinking about hooking up two manual 302s. I think my oldest grandsons would get a kick out of it.

That is unless I don't sell them first!.. ::)..Doug

Kidphone

rdelius

If you use one modern power supply to power several telephones, you might have to put a series impednence coil or possibly a choke coil in series .

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on May 18, 2021, 11:40:22 AM
If you use one modern power supply to power several telephones, you might have to put a series impednence coil or possibly a choke coil in series .
Robby....what is the other option?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Dont know another option  but I would think an ind coil out of a 302 would work. Just try one winding in series of the power supply  and see if it works

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on May 18, 2021, 02:10:40 PM
Dont know another option  but I would think an ind coil out of a 302 would work. Just try one winding in series of the power supply  and see if it works
thanks
Kidphone

RB

Doug
try it without first.
It will work.
Then if you are not happy with the sweet sound from the other end,
Slide a winding inline with the + side of the power supply up to the phone that has the power supply connected to it.
The coil can be almost anything. I think it just keeps the power line from warbling...
That's a tech term...lol.
You can use an ind coil, like rdelius suggested, or a 12 volt wall wart will work also. "use the AC side".
Or a small solenoid, any will do.
wire it up and enjoy!

Doug Rose

Thanks Rod....A wiring diagram even I can understand!    ::) ..... Doug
Kidphone

RB

Shoot, Doug...
I made a mistake.  :o
got + n minus backwards on the second phone ::)
The correct schematic follows.