News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Best method for cleaning old signs?

Started by Sargeguy, February 02, 2016, 12:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I usually use soap and water for dirt and citrus strip for paint splotches, but that's about it.  I have a few signs that look pretty drab. Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning and polishing signs?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

If a sign has crud or soot that soap & water doesn't take care of I use Barkeepers Friend. It cleans without scratching.

There's no cure for faded signs or signs that have lost their shine that I know of. I wonder what the guy does that charges big bucks to restore signs? Resurface the faded areas? I did have a sign that someone had put some type of clear coat on. I looked okay but it eventually started to peal off.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

It might be a good idea to use some kind of oil or wax on it to try darkening the faded porcelain.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Payphone installer

I use soft scrub for cleaning bath tubs I have had many old porcelain signs they are not as fragile as you think. Dirty is easy to fix with soft scrub. My advice on faded or damaged signs is do not buy them. Take your time and buy the nice ones they will sell for much more when you pass them on.

Fabius

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 02, 2016, 11:23:52 AM
It might be a good idea to use some kind of oil or wax on it to try darkening the faded porcelain.

I've tried oils but they seem to only last a few days. Maybe one of those waxes with color in it for faded cars?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

Don't buy them?  A  significant portion of my collection is faded rusty signs!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Fabius on February 02, 2016, 09:58:13 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on February 02, 2016, 11:23:52 AM

I've tried oils but they seem to only last a few days. Maybe one of those waxes with color in it for faded cars?

I tried some of the wax  (blue). It didn't seem to make much difference.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

An old trick for washing the faded exteriors of mobile homes to enhance their finishes is to wash them in Dreft.  Apparently it contains a waxlike substance akin to fabric softener .  It must work because it is a key to a fast sale in some quarters.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke