News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vail Medal/38 Hurricane plaque

Started by Sargeguy, January 21, 2016, 07:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This is an intersting item, a Bell System plaque commemerating Bell System employees service in the Great Hurricane of 1938.  It looks like it held a set of Vail medals:
Antique Bell System Award The Great New England Hurricane of September 1938 NY
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Yes, it is missing two medals. One medal showed the front and the other showed the rear. I recall being in a large Pacific T&T building in San Francisco in the late 1970s that had one of these on the wall. I tried to remove one of the medals but it was really secured in the plaque and it was an active building so I didn't try very long. (yes, I am evil) Interesting that at the bottom it says the original is at 195 Broadway NYC (then AT&T Headquarters). I wonder what they are referring to? The original named Vail medal/s or what AT&T considered the original plaque?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I recall seeing a Vail medal with no name on it on eBay a while back.  It was a little beaten up.  I imagine it was from one of these or something similar.  The Bell System was proud of it's performance during the aftermath of the 1938 Hurricane, so I bet there were several of these made for various central offices in the Northeast. 

I might be interested in this if the price drops.  RI was decimated by the '38 Hurricane, with nearly 400 dead and us Rhode Islanders are a little obsessed with it.  We can still see it's effects around here-there are a number of remains of structures that were washed away by the Hurricane.  I live down the street from the Fox Point Hurricane barrier, which was built to prevent another storm surge from devastating downtown Providence.  It would be a cool piece to have.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 21, 2016, 11:41:40 PM
I recall seeing a Vail medal with no name on it on eBay a while back.  It was a little beaten up.  I imagine it was from one of these or something similar.

That may be the one I got on ebay about a year or more ago. It shows signs of being pried off of something. Without the medals the price is a bit high plus the shipping is high, even for a heavy bronze plaque.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke