News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage 555 Cord PBX Switchboard

Started by Greg G., March 04, 2017, 08:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Good price?  This one is more to my liking, has a nice vintage look to it, and I could use it as a desk.  Just not sure I could afford it, but if the asking price is a screaming deal, I will snatch it up.

Vintage 555 Cord PBX Switchboard - $883

This is a collectible Western Electric 555 corded switchboard PBX. I'm not sure of the year it was made. It was operating in the Chinook Motel, in Seattle, in the Skyway area. As a sales guy for Pacific NW Bell in the 70's, I sold this motel a new telephone system (Com Key). I had the PNB installer cut the trunk cable and deliver this unit to my house, where I've had it ever since. I always hoped to connect this to my home phone but never got around to doing it. I'm told it's easy to do. It's in nice condition for it's age. It was working perfectly when it was uninstalled. It's only been moved twice so it's very much how it was when it was taken out of service. I have a copy of an operations manual for it and there's a lot of info online related to it. The size is 4' high, 2.5' wide and 2.5' deep. (By the way, I haven't cleaned it. It will look better when I do.)
It's very cool and always gets a lot of attention. It makes a unique and functional desk. I think it will continue to increase in value.
It's time for me to move this on.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Isn't the asking price $883 or am I misreading something?

If so, that is pretty high. Even at that price these are always a pretty good deal per pound but the weight is what keeps the price down.

You need to do lots of bargaining with him but I assume this is at least within range for you?

Terry

poplar1

The going price for a working 551 or 555  is probably in the $400 range. On the other hand, this one was carefully removed and cared for, and it is close by. The 552 I would think would be worth $100 for parts.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 04, 2017, 09:16:21 PM
Even at that price these are always a pretty good deal per pound but the weight is what keeps the price down.

You need to do lots of bargaining with him but I assume this is at least within range for you?

Terry

You didn't misread it, they're asking $883.  What do these things weigh?  The distance is very doable, he's just on the other end of town.  I would have to factor in the cost of getting it transported (kinda like buying on ebay.)  I'm assuming that it will take more than a dolly, a friend (if I can find one), and my Ford Ranger pickup.  I would also have to justify it with my wife, especially since we are hunting for a new washer and dryer.  That's the hard part.  I sent an email to the seller asking if he's open to offers and the logistics of moving it, waiting to hear back.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Did some measuring, it won't fit through the office doorway even with trim and door removed.  Anita said it could go in the living room where the Majestic radio is now, but I would have to get rid of the radio.  That would only involve moving some furniture to get it in.  In theory it's doable, but other factors like the cost and that we have other priorities at this time have to come first. 
- Mike Row
e

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on March 05, 2017, 03:14:09 PM
The "desk" comes off easily.
Jim

That helps, thanks!  In that case, I could get it into the office.  I heard back from the seller, he's pretty firm on the price.  What would y'all do, buy it or pass? 

QuoteHi Greg. I'm not sure of the actual weight. Two guys, a dolly and a pickup would do it. I'm pretty firm on the price. I might come down a little bit. I'm getting a fair amount of interest, so far, mostly from out-of-towners.

Steve

In favor: 

Functioning when removed, not been stripped.
It has a connection to this area.
Comes with a manual.
Seller claims it can be moved with muscle and pickup.

Not in favor:

Price is high, won't dicker much.
I would need to find a friend to help move it.  They tend to disappear when asked to help move something.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on March 04, 2017, 09:21:00 PM
The going price for a working 551 or 555  is probably in the $400 range. On the other hand, this one was carefully removed and cared for, and it is close by. The 552 I would think would be worth $100 for parts.

Looks like you were right, here's one in similar condition that sold for far less.  I think I'll wait.  I can go as far as BC and Oregon.

http://tinyurl.com/h4y5tm9
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

But then, compared to this one it's a bargain!

http://tinyurl.com/z87lger

- Mike Row
e

trainman

The cord units are modular. a plug and a quarter turn screw. you can take them out to reduce the weight of the actual frame. heck, even the wood panels come off. look for the screws holding them to the frame, then the panels lift straight up and off brackets.  you need to take the top off first. there is one screw for the side hidden under the top. 3 screw on the top and 4 on each side.

id say 400 is a decent price. 800 or more is high, just because the dont move very fast due to weight and shipping issues.  i got mine for 250. seller originally wanted 450. but then again, ive been cleaning it, troubleshooting cord units, regluing loose veneer, have to refinish one side. the rest are still very good.

Jim Stettler

$400 and up  is fair for a complete board. This is a small board, figure $400 or so.
--------------------------------
As said, they are very modular. The seller can help flip the stripped down board into a truck, You can unload and locate then put it back together.
-----------------------------------
Most folks selling a board are tired of having it  around, you can probably out-wait them for a better price. You are probably the only one interested in it.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

trainman

Back of a 555. Cord units can come out. A quarter turn screw on the top, another quarter turn screw on the bottom.

The desk comes out. 4 screws underneath and a plug.

Pourme

Hang in there!...Show him the reasonable priced units if possible. I hope you get it...Keep us posted!

Benny

PS: Congrats on your wife supporting the purchase and placement of it!...That's a bonus!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

HarrySmith

I watched a 555 board on the local Cragslist. It was listed at $500.00, over the next couple of months it went down to $100.00. I called at that point and went to look at it. It was not stripped out. I offered $50.00 and he agreed. A couple of years later it was stolen from my storage with a couple of other things. I am still looking for a replacment board! As Jim stated, they will get tired of it hanging around and will take less eventually!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Going to wait it out.  Maybe not this one, but sometime in the future, now that I know what to look for and the fact it can be dismantled relatively easy for transport. 
- Mike Row
e