News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Big Phone Haul, all for FREE!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 25, 2014, 04:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

This is the result of talking up the hobby! I mention it to as many people as possible, you never know. I have an old phone on my desk at work with a sign giving a description and telling people I can make one like it work for them. I have not sold any phones yet but I have had quite a few conversations about phones and one customer gave me 2 plastic 302's he found when he was cleaning out his Dad's garage! He said as soon as he saw them he thought of me so he dropped them off. Everyone keep talking! Even if you don't get any phones you might get another person infected with Phonitis!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on January 27, 2014, 04:06:30 PM
How rare are these sets?

They are pretty common.  Were the other parts painted to match the BB finish or are they black?

The switch hook and the transmitter cup support are painted grey, while the transmitter cup and faceplate are  painted black. It's all cleaned up and polished now, so I can take pictures and post them if anyone wants me to.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

OF COURSE WE WANT YOU TO ;D
We love pictures, especially before & after!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 27, 2014, 05:48:58 PM
OF COURSE WE WANT YOU TO ;D
We love pictures, especially before & after!

Then, you'd love what I'm going to post tomorrow about my red 500s.

Ben

xhausted110

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 25, 2014, 04:12:04 PM
On Thursday night, I was invited by my uncle, an attorney, to visit the home of a gentleman whose estate my uncle is overseeing.  There was supposed to be a box of phones that were going to be disposed of one way or another.  Since the man was an avid collector of cameras, telephones, railroad items, and a few phones, his relatives thought that since I appreciated phones they'd be glad to dispose of them in my direction, though I was warned in advance that a lot of the phones were cheap "Radio Shack" specials. 

Well, they were right...for the most part.  The first picture shows some of the tonnage of consumer phones and answering machines that I carted off.  There are literally a couple hundred pounds of these phones, which will be donated to Salvation Army and Goodwill, or given to families in need that we know.  Sam the Golden Retriever is not included. 

The second picture shows all of the "keeper" phones or parts phones that are pre-1984. Here's what I got.  Top row from left to right: 1953 WE 500, 11/51 WE 500T (all dates matching except handset cord), 1970s WE 2554, 1966 WE wall-mount round-button Trimline, 1980s WE Trimline wall-mount, 1970s NT 500, a Wheelock strobe ring annunciator, and a WE external ringer.  Middle row from left: 1949 WE SpaceSaver, AE scissors wall mount, 2 1980s 2500s, 1963 WE 500 (early 1970s refurb date), yellow 1976 WE 500.   Bottom row from left: 1980s AT&T 2554 for parts, 1957 WE 554 with fat switchhook, 1970s WE 2500, and a WE 40AL with 47A scissors mount (missing wall or desk bracket), and a late 1970s ITT 2-line 500. 

I'm guessing I'm going to be kind of busy for a few weeks!

is there any old-school tape answering machines in there? I've been looking for one of those.
- Evan

Contempra

oh my goodness !...I saw 11 answering machines to the flea market this morning.. unfortunately I live in Québec...50 cents each...

xhausted110

Quote from: Contempra on February 05, 2014, 12:55:11 PM
oh my goodness !...I saw 11 answering machines to the flea market this morning.. unfortunately I live in Québec...50 cents each...
yeah. they're not so common around here.
- Evan

Contempra

Quote from: xhausted110 on February 05, 2014, 01:29:30 PM

Okay and where you from  xhausted 110 ?

Sargeguy

QuoteThe switch hook and the transmitter cup support are painted grey, while the transmitter cup and faceplate are  painted black. It's all cleaned up and polished now, so I can take pictures and post them if anyone wants me to.

That's what you want in a 40-AL.  The base and shaft are common, but the matching paint perch and hook are not-they are often painted black.  The transmitter is always black as far as I know.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

xhausted110

Quote from: Contempra on February 05, 2014, 02:46:04 PM
Quote from: xhausted110 on February 05, 2014, 01:29:30 PM

Okay and where you from  xhausted 110 ?
late reply, but I'm in southeastern Michigan,USA
- Evan

Contempra

Quote from: xhausted110 on March 02, 2014, 10:56:15 PM
late reply, but I'm in southeastern Michigan,USA

Oh okay but you are not so far from Montréal/Québec my friend. If you travel a little bit, you'll find some.. Montréal is a big twon, an island lollll so look on kijiji, eBay, kraiglist, flea markets. lots of American people come in Montréal...on your next vacation, comes to Montreal and route these listed locations and you will surely find. ;)