News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial-less Uniphone No 1

Started by DNO, March 29, 2014, 09:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNO

Filled one of the many holes in my collection today.   Like Mike C in Winnipeg I found  a Northern Electric Uniphone but mine's a dial-less No. 1.  Spotted it for $30 at a Salvation Army store in a nearby town and couldn't resist.

As found...a bit scuffed and dirty but complete and intact.

David

DNO

And here it is after a preliminary clean up.

It has all 1948 dates, including the transmitter and receiver capsules.

David

Dennis Markham

Great improvement.  Looks great!  Congrats on that find.

WesternElectricBen

Looks great, what's your secret?

Ben

DNO

Thanks Dennis.  It's my first Uniphone.

No secret, Ben...just Brasso and elbow grease!
David

WesternElectricBen

Does Brasso ever go bad, as mine is pretty old and doesn't give that great of a shine. Or it might be me, not using as much of that elbow grease.

Ben

DNO

Brasso seems to thicken a bit with age but it never seems to lose it's effectiveness.   The Novus products would do just as well (probably better) but they're quite hard to find around here. 
David

DavePEI

Quote from: DNO on March 29, 2014, 10:52:17 PM
Brasso seems to thicken a bit with age but it never seems to lose it's effectiveness.   The Novus products would do just as well (probably better) but they're quite hard to find around here.
If you live in T.O. Novus is very easy to find. You just need to knwo where to look for it. Just go to any auto glass dealer. Speedy, Good Guys,  whatever. You will have to ask for it - it won't likely be out on display. They all have it. I buy mine locally at Speedy. They use it to polish plastic headlamps and always carry a stock.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dennis Markham

I found Novus2 while browsing the showroom at my local Harley Davidson motorcycle shop last weekend.  The 8oz bottle was $7.  Considering no shipping, it was about the same price as those 8oz bottles found on ebay.

HarrySmith

I got a gallon of Novus from Amazon for the same price as the 8 OZ bottles on eBay. With free shipping!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Great deal Harry. When I looked its $24 and free shipping with a $35 purchase. You did really well.....Doug
Kidphone

tallguy58

Novus available in T.O at Plastic World (not kidding), 1140 Sheppard Ave W #8
Cheers........Bill

DNO

Thanks for all the Novus tips.  I used to get it at a plastic supply company but it disappeared.  I used it quite a bit before I developed an interest in phones.  It's really the best thing to clean the plexi used to frame larger artworks.  Since my usual source closed, I've been conserving what's left!  Now I don't have to.
David