"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cool Find From CL

Started by DebbieDoo, April 03, 2014, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DebbieDoo

Quote from: TelePlay on April 04, 2014, 07:35:50 AM
There should also be numbers on the back of the dial itself. You may have to loosen or remove the 3 screws (from the inside) holding the dial in place to see them.

You can see a 5H in vermillion in the lower right corner of this photo, next to it under the case is the date the dial was made. You may have a 6H dial, both numbers would add to this discussion. Your dial may look different than this picture but the numbers will still be there.

Yes, I can see some numbers I just haven't taken it apart yet.  So far it is dated 10/1945 and the receiver has a date of 12/1946.  Pretty cool that it's this old.

DebbieDoo

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 04, 2014, 10:40:55 AM
Very nice find indeed, I especially like the base date! Is there a date on the housing (it would be on the front inside lip to the right)? If it dates '45 or '46, it could be an Indigo 302 like mine.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10925.msg116750#msg116750

I put it up to a bright light and it is not transparent at all...:(  You had me going for a minute that it might be a rare find!!  The dates on the inside base is 10/45 and the handset has 12/46 on it.  There is also an S-IV-45 on one of the parts.

DebbieDoo

Quote from: paul-f on April 04, 2014, 01:15:47 PM
An important code to look for is the mounting code, which is usually stamped on the housing near the rear cord hole.  It provides a clue to what components were in the phone when it was manufactured.

For a description and list of variations in the 300-series, look here:
  http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#Markings

The code is H3.  I did look at your link and it has valuable information on it.  Thanks for putting that together.

Mr. Bones

My, Debbie!

You are catching up fast! The phonitis seems to be advancing rapidly! Congratulations on your new finds; looks like a great collection, from here!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DebbieDoo

Quote from: DNO on April 04, 2014, 10:45:16 AM
As a newby myself, Debbiedoo, I know how confusing the terminology can be.  Here's a quickie guide to the inside of the base of the 302.  I'll try to do a better one later.

Thank you so much for this diagram.  I searched on here but all I could find were wiring diagrams.  This helps a lot and now I won't sound like such a dumba$$.  lol

DebbieDoo

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 04, 2014, 08:41:11 PM
My, Debbie!

You are catching up fast! The phonitis seems to be advancing rapidly! Congratulations on your new finds; looks like a great collection, from here!

Best regards!

Thanks Mr. Bones.  Yes, this PHONEITIS has set in for sure!!!!

DebbieDoo

Here are some photo's of the numbers on the inside.  I am especially curious about the ones stamped in green on the inside of the housing.  108215  35016.  The '8' in the first set really looks like an ampersand. 

Mr. Bones

Nice, Debbie!

Looking a lot like a matching dates 304! Great find for $25, and less common than a 302.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

DebbieDoo

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 04, 2014, 08:54:49 PM
Nice, Debbie!

Looking a lot like a matching dates 304! Great find for $25, and less common than a 302.

Best regards!

From all that I have gathered I believe you are correct.  According to Paul-f.com it is a 304 so very cool!!!  It has been rewired but it's kind of a mess.  See pics below.

TelePlay

Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 09:20:17 PM
It has been rewired but it's kind of a mess.

If you are referring to the wall jack that was jury-rigged onto the end of the line cord to allow connection to a modular wall jack using a standard modular cord (with a modular plug on both ends), that is an easy fix.

Actually, it looks like the person who did that did a good thing and wired the jack onto the end of the spade line cord in rather than cutting a hole in the plastic and inserting a newer modular jack, as found on "newer" 500 phones. 

DebbieDoo

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 04, 2014, 11:12:51 AM
I did one also, posted it on the technical section.

Thanks harrySmith.  This will help a lot.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 08:29:15 PM
Very nice find indeed, I especially like the base date! Is there a date on the housing (it would be on the front inside lip to the right)? If it dates '45 or '46, it could be an Indigo 302 like mine.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10925.msg116750#msg116750

I put it up to a bright light and it is not transparent at all...:(  You had me going for a minute that it might be a rare find!!  The dates on the inside base is 10/45 and the handset has 12/46 on it.  There is also an S-IV-45 on one of the parts.

I put mine up to a very bright light, but I could barely see anything. Do you see any kind of reflective golden or reddish flakes in the housing at all?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DebbieDoo

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on April 04, 2014, 10:00:39 PM
Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 08:29:15 PM

I put mine up to a very bright light, but I could barely see anything. Do you see any kind of reflective golden or reddish flakes in the housing at all?

No I don't see anything like that.

poplar1

Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 08:50:44 PM
Here are some photo's of the numbers on the inside.  I am especially curious about the ones stamped in green on the inside of the housing.  108215  35016.  The '8' in the first set really looks like an ampersand. 

More likely that it is 10 22 45--that would match the other dates.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DebbieDoo

Quote from: TelePlay on April 04, 2014, 09:30:08 PM
Quote from: DebbieDoo on April 04, 2014, 09:20:17 PM
It has been rewired but it's kind of a mess.

If you are referring to the wall jack that was jury-rigged onto the end of the line cord to allow connection to a modular wall jack using a standard modular cord (with a modular plug on both ends), that is an easy fix.

Actually, it looks like the person who did that did a good thing and wired the jack onto the end of the spade line cord in rather than cutting a hole in the plastic and inserting a newer modular jack, as found on "newer" 500 phones.

So how can I fix this?  The wires are looking rather worn for sure.