News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Misc Phone parts

Started by wds, December 09, 2011, 01:40:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked up some parts and pieces this week.  Two Kellogg bases with SL ringers, two sound powered handsets, and a WE phone.  The Kellogg bases I grabbed for the ringers, not sure what I'm going to do with the sound powered handsets - probably sell after I'm done playing with them.  The WE phone, I don't want, and thought I would see if anyone is interested in it before I throw it on Ebay, or strip it for parts.  The case is in pretty good shape, no chips or cracks.  I see these on Ebay often, but they always seem to have cracked cases.  Dated 1951, 5H dial.  PM me if your interested.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

The wiring blocks and inductor modules on the Kellogg bases are useful for converting Select-O-Phones into working phones.  I see Select-O-Phones for sale frequently, and people buy them thinking that they are usable phones, but they are wired much differently.

Larry

wds

I found that out the hard way.  Bought what I thought was a nice Kellogg 1000, but after tinkering with it for an evening, I figured out it was just an intercom.  I even had to send the dial to Steve Hilz to be changed over to a regular dial.  I've been watching those metal 1000's go for pretty cheap lately because they were either frequency ringers, or missing other parts.  Now I can grab one, or one of those Select O Phones for cheap and bring them back to life.
Dave

wds

Larry,  by the way, I just used your suggestion for filing down a 3/8" allen wrench to remove the center allen head receiver plug from a AE 34 handset.  Worked like a charm.

Dave

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: wds on December 09, 2011, 03:43:36 PM
Larry,  by the way, I just used your suggestion for filing down a 3/8" allen wrench to remove the center allen head receiver plug from a AE 34 handset.  Worked like a charm.

I love to get credit, but that was not my suggestion.  I remember seeing it though.  I simply stuck the handle of an adjustable pliers through the hole and was able to unscrew the plug with it.  I don't have the time or patience to file down allen wrenches.

Larry

wds

Well thanks to somebody.  It's hard to go back and find those postings - I just remembered seeing it and thought I would give it a try. 
Dave

Dennis Markham

Here's the posting (I think).......

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5552.0

I just went to the Home page, put "allen wrench" in the search block and there it was.........

wds

That's it!  I searched under everything but "allen wrench".  
Dave

wds

I cleaned up and tested the Sound Powered phones.  Those phones are actually pretty cool.  Sound quality was good, but a little weak.  They might come in handy some day.
Dave

GG

Sound-powered phones are useful for purposes such as connecting to riser cables in a building to get a quick test circuit between techs on different floors.  No batteries = they will always work, when other things might not. 

Attached to a magneto ringer box, with a toggle switch to serve as the hookswitch, they can be used to create a simple intercom that doesn't require local batteries. 

Attached to a magneto desk set or desk stand, you have a real hookswitch and the intercom becomes easier to use because nobody has to flip a toggle switch.

Now what would be really cool would be to put sound-powered elements into standard handsets of the type that work on those magneto desk stands.   That would solve the usual aesthetic problem with sound-powered handsets "not looking right" on our usual assortment of desk stands.