News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trash Rescue

Started by Doug Rose, December 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Yesterday was trash day and I did not take the trash from my work bench. 202 with way too much oxidation. I took off the retainer ring, that great dial card, plunger and the good leather bottom and trashed it.

It had to be a sign missing the trash day. I was stripping a few things and thought, why not. What better way to kill a vacation day. Paint was a (expletive deleted) to get off, but it turned out pretty nice, like a shiny buffalo nickel, almost pewter. 1 31 is the date. These guys NEVER clean up once oxidation hits. I guess I should never say never....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Very nice.

Do you coat the bare metal with a protectant layer to keep it from corrosion in the future and if so, what and how?

Please share. I'm planning on stripping a metal 302.

Thanks.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 28, 2011, 03:36:16 PM
Very nice.

Do you coat the bare metal with a protectant layer to keep it from corrosion in the future and if so, what and how?

Please share. I'm planning on stripping a metal 302.

Thanks.
I leave them as is. I have one 202 approx 30 years bare and it looks just the same as this does, maybe a little patina that would be taken away with some brasso. Check out the below link of me stripping a Painted Metal 302..Doug

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5781.0
Kidphone

TelePlay

Doug,

Thanks, uncoated it shall remain.

And, yes, I closely followed that thread of the yellow over blue over metal project you did that turned out absolutely fantastic, especially with the brown handset.

Honestly, that's why I just bough a couple of metal 302's. Hope mine turn out as good as yours did.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 28, 2011, 04:50:08 PM
Doug,

Thanks, uncoated it shall remain.

And, yes, I closely followed that thread of the yellow over blue over metal project you did that turned out absolutely fantastic, especially with the brown handset.

Honestly, that's why I just bough a couple of metal 302's. Hope mine turn out as good as yours did.
John...best of luck....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2011, 05:33:23 PM

It came today. Here it is with a good rubber gasket still in place but to be removed, somehow. It's loose but haven't figured out how to get it off of the three screw isolation pass throughs.

It's a 1940 shell with paint issues. Has a 11-40 base, ringer, #5 dial and a IV-40 network. The HA1 and F1 elements were 3-53 and 4-49 respectively.

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 29, 2011, 06:32:58 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2011, 05:33:23 PM

It came today. Here it is with a good rubber gasket still in place but to be removed, somehow. It's loose but haven't figured out how to get it off of the three screw isolation pass throughs.

It's a 1940 shell with paint issues. Has a 11-40 base, ringer, #5 dial and a IV-40 network. The HA1 and F1 elements were 3-53 and 4-49 respectively.

Paint looks awfully good, are you sure you want to strip that?? Place an awl outside the gasket and pus the grommets through. Then push the gasket back out from the inside to the outside. Your paint looks really good. Maybe, Brasso and shine it up. From the picture, it's a keeper and not a stripper.....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 29, 2011, 06:46:41 PM
Paint looks awfully good, are you sure you want to strip that?? Place an awl outside the gasket and pus the grommets through. Then push the gasket back out from the inside to the outside. Your paint looks really good. Maybe, Brasso and shine it up. From the picture, it's a keeper and not a stripper.....good luck...Doug

Asking for a second opinion. And the label glue has reacted with and is now part of the paint. What would you do, strip and repaint or leave it bare metal? I can go either way. What say you?

Doug Rose

Goo Be Gone on the sticker, Brasso or Noxon after. Then decide. Seventy Year old phone. At 58, I don't look that good.....Doug
Kidphone

Sargeguy

That looks pretty good.  I have a partially stripped one I'll trade you for it.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 29, 2011, 09:27:55 PM
That looks pretty good.  I have a partially stripped one I'll trade you for it.

I might take you up on that. The Goo Gone is working with 0000 steel wool to get the label glue off the paint and other residue on other parts of the phone. I want to try the Noxon, never have yet since I am relatively new to restoration and have only been buying for a few years.

The paint on the interior is like new. My only question is how to address the missing paint on the ears, a few edges, on the sides and the fingerwheel. What do restorers do, paint to match and make it look new or leave as is as a clean, shiny historical instrument?

Want to go slow on this to see if I can restore what is before stripping.

What does the mark J152 on the inside edge next to the red paint H1 stand for or mean?

As for the inside, all will clean up very well and the porcelain number plate is in very good condition.

But, I will keep the offer in mind.

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM
Yesterday was trash day and I did not take the trash from my work bench. 202 with way too much oxidation. I took off the retainer ring, that great dial card, plunger and the good leather bottom and trashed it.

It had to be a sign missing the trash day. I was stripping a few things and thought, why not. What better way to kill a vacation day. Paint was a (expletive deleted) to get off, but it turned out pretty nice, like a shiny buffalo nickel, almost pewter. 1 31 is the date. These guys NEVER clean up once oxidation hits. I guess I should never say never....Doug

Besides the paint stripper, what else did you use to get it nice and shiny?   
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Quote from: Brinybay on December 29, 2011, 11:57:01 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on December 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Besides the paint stripper, what else did you use to get it nice and shiny?   
Noxon.....wire brush on a drill....repeat....repeat.....Noxon....fine steel wool. Repeat.....repeat!

Remember....you will know if the first few minutes if these will clean up or it is not going to happen. Some metal is better than others. This is dated 1/31, For every one like this, I have a dozen pitted corroded junk pile phones. Even though it was tough removing the paint, I could tell on the areas that came clean that this would be a beauty....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

He is a 302 that I started yesterday and finished today. Stripped like a dream. Same pewter- buffalo nickel color. Check out the really cool cloth handset cord on it. Its not a WE, but i wasn't going to remove it. It also had a 6H dial. I don't remember ever seeing a 6H, 6A and 6D and 6E, but never a 6H. Must have been just after the 5H. Looks like it might have been refurbed in 1953 as the dial plate is perfect. Check out those cool GREEN Felt feet!! Dated 1 39 and the element are 11 38 and 12 38...My hands are killing me from stripper.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice Doug!
How about a green handset cord to match the feet?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"