News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

McMurdoSilver - Master of "Telephones as an Art"

Started by Dan/Panther, June 25, 2009, 03:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Just when I was confident that I could restoree a phone and make it look good....
This comes along.   http://tinyurl.com/lmhy63

Notice his sc reen name, McMurdo Silver, that explains alot...if you've never seen one ....check out the photo below. This is the part of the radio you don't see...

Bingster, Maybe this could be our next auction. Still has 3 days to go.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

The guy with the screen name McMurdo Silver participates in the listserver on one or both of the club discussions.  In the three years I have been following phones on e-Bay, his are probably better by far than anyone else's I've seen.   He sells quite a few there.

Although I do wonder why people polish the ringer gongs, other than it makes for a good show when it is listed on e-Bay.

-Bill
-Bill G

BDM

That's Frank Franowsky. Here is his Ebay page. The man is a perfectionist in every sense of the term! This man could truly turn a sows ear into a silk purse!!

http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=mcmurdosilver
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

JorgeAmely

Here, more candy for your eyes.

http://picasaweb.google.com/telephonenut#

I would love to be sitting on the first row on a 101 course from this gentleman on how to refinish antiques.

Jorge

HobieSport

Wow.  Not only are his telephones and radios fantastic, but those classic cars are also amazing.  Also that drum set with the kettle drums...I want it! ;D
-Matt

JorgeAmely

320417373945 and 320418073810

I wonder what kind of paint he used to paint these phones.  ???
Jorge

Phonesrfun

That is Frank Franowsky, an ATCA member who has been selling EXTREMELY quality stuff for a few years.  He is a perfectionist, and I do not know of anyone who disputes his attention to detail.  He also puts together a real nice e-Bay presentation.

For me, I would rather work on my own phones or even leave them pretty original.  Just something about the nicks and scratches that give an old phone character.  These phones remind me of the Concourse d' elegance show cars.

His niche would be the folks out there who just remodeled their house and want a showpiece to round out their game room, living room, or theme room.  Someone who has a lot of money and wants something original, and yet "perfect".

My hat is still off to him and his work.  I hope he has some of his handywork lying around his own house.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Bill:

Show cars like these?

http://nethercuttcollection.org/

If in southern CA, don't miss this museum. It is a bargain to visit (free) and pretty much open every day.

Jorge

Greg G.

Listening to the wave file of the 4h dial, I wonder if the number of clicks corresponds to the number dialed? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Quote from: Brinybay on September 01, 2009, 04:54:58 AM
Listening to the wave file of the 4h dial, I wonder if the number of clicks corresponds to the number dialed? 
Yep, that's it exactly.  Dial "1" and you hear one click, dial "9" and you hear nine clicks.
= DARRIN =

JorgeAmely

Jorge

bwanna

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
donna

AE_Collector

One just has to read the description...the answer is in there.

"To provide a more durable, long lasting finish, it was professionally powder-coated".

It also says that the Redbar was made in Bakelite and in cast metal. I didn't know there were cast versions of the redbar.

And assuming this is a cast metal one that has been powder coated, I didn't think that Powder coat was particularly shiny, let alone blinding!

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:

The seller did an outstanding job on this one. I wonder if after powder coating he buffed it also.

I checked the school roster: he was missing to all lessons.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Very nice phone, but the powder coating is a negative in my mind. After a little use you will start to see wear in the cradle area, and it will not look good.
I have two Redbars on display that have not been finished, one, the first one is metal, and the second one is Bakelite.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson