News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to remove the screwless panels on W/E 2500

Started by guitar1580, December 23, 2019, 12:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

I just got this newer W/E 2500 with the newer logo, as pictured below.  I noticed that the dial face plate and the little cover under the finger grip (I don't know what it's called) are attached with plastic tabs and no screws.  The screw holes are there in the housing, but no screw.

Does anyone know if there is a trick to removing these panels?  They look like they would be easy to break if flexing too much or prying with something.

JT

Key2871

You need to bow out the faceplate from the inside center then it will pop out. A pain in the butt, progress for ya.
KEN

HarrySmith

Yes, you need to bend the facplate to release the small tab at the top. I am not sure about the fingerhold cover, it may be the same thing. I will have to look at one of mine to be sure. I can do that tonight after work if needed.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

The finger hold cover has clips on either side that need to be carefully pressed inward while pressing down on the cover to get it to fall into the housing. The last picture shows part of it on one side.
I never liked those because I've seen them fail and the plungers fall into the housing either jamming the hook switch or just making it in able to hang up the phone..
All part to save a penny for a screw.
KEN

Babybearjs

this is the same case on my green 2564... I went ahead and removed the handle grip and snapped off the 2 wings, and then added the screw that was suppose to be used to hold it in place. as for the faceplate, I left it alone and just added the screw and latch assembly for it... that way, its there when I need it. I always add the screw back in on these units because they were really cutting costs after 1984... stupid people! anyway, by restoring the shell to the way its suppose to be, guarantees that if you ever have to fix it later, it will be ready.
John

guitar1580

Thanks for the input folks.  I didn't really see any other way than just bowing them in far enough to release.  I have this other pic from before I cleaned it.  You can see what looks like screwdriver marks where someone tried to pry it loose.

I hadn't had one of these this new, and it was interesting to see the evolution of the design.  They're both pretty inventive ways to keep the panels on without fasteners - if you NEED to, but I wonder how much money was saved on screws and how much was spent on engineers to figure it out, draw it up, make prototypes, test it, get it right, have the plastic manufacturer make new molds ... what else?

John, do you use screws from old phones or just use a similar size from the hardware store?

I got my two new sets today, and they're pretty nice ... will get pics later.  I haven't had time to take them apart yet, but I noticed the 460 from 1941 has a button that doesn't wanna go down, and one that doesn't want to stay down, but the others seem to work fine.  Do you guys have any luck with taking them apart and using a little bit of lube or Deoxit contact cleaner.  I'm thinking it may free up without having to look for new parts.

JT

Babybearjs

Over the years I've saved all the screws  and other hardware from phones that I've scrapped or upgraded... so the hardware in on hand for other phones. Phones are like computers, they use certain sizes and types of hardware that's not available in stores...
if you keep parts try looking for the same size screws that the other phones of the same series used.  buying junk phones for about $5.00 in a thrift store or online is always a good idea for scrapping out for parts. I hate throwing stuff away especially when you need it... but sometimes I have to... I've recycled plenty of old laptops and computers only to collect screws from them.. the same with telephones... since there are tons on thousands out there, it doesn't hurt to scrap a few out and discard them... broken shells, handsets and the such. buying parts from online sources is good too. I bought 2 410 bases and was able to put one back together later with spare parts... thats one of the reasons all us guys have our "Shops" to tinker around in...
John

guitar1580

Yes, I agree about the parts phones.  Yesterday when I was digging phones out of the garage attic I ran onto a few old phones and housings that I kept, that were in the boxes, so I know I can rob a few things.  I hate throwing useful items away. 

I've frankensteined some 500s together before.  A while back I was putting on/off switches for the ringer back at the hole where the line cord comes in, without drilling or altering the phone, and giving them to some friends or family members who wanted one.

JT

Babybearjs

Phone restoration is one thing I've done since the late 80's.. I started out with AE #87 phones, and discovered that some of them had extra wires... bought some #86 5 line phones and learned how to swap out parts... the switch hooks were wired differently between the models but the parts were interchangeable... so I was able to make some #87A phones that were pretty much identical to the ITT 576 phones... who knew?? (station Busy lamps) thats when I started keeping hardware and parts... and it exploded from there. here are 2 pictures that may help... it shows the inside of the shell and the hardware used...
John

guitar1580

Cool.  Good pics, thanks.

Interestingly, I have a green 2500 that is almost the same age, maybe a year older, and it still has the old logo and screws in the panels.  So it must have been near the end of the screw era, and the white one near the beginning of the screwless era.

The newer one also has what I think is a polarity guard installed between the dial and the network.