News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Gold Plated" 302

Started by TelePlay, May 11, 2014, 01:24:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Question, if someone were to "gold plate" a metal 302, would they also plate the inside of the shell as well? 

Or might this be something other than "gold?" It seems to date to 1951, around the time they were producing "Imperials." The exterior "gold" seems to be in good condition. Did they do these in real "gold" or was this the gold colored finish found on D1 Imperials?

Just asking.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201088467461

Mr. Bones

John,
     I couldn't tell you if it was actually gold, without looking, smelling, tasting of the phone, in person.

That being said, during the process of electroplating, it would be all but impossible to plate the exterior, and exclude the interior. It would require fastidious, meticulous masking of some sort to prevent the electroplated coating from adhering.

I've never seen the interior of an Imperial, so this is solely my 2¢ based upon knowledge of the electroplating process.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

paul-f

Over the last 10-15 years, there have been numerous newly plated metal sets on ebay and phone sale sites -- including chrome, nickel and "gold."  Favorite sets to plate include 302s, D-mountings and Connecticut "Toaster" phones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Andre91

QuoteI've never seen the interior of an Imperial, so this is solely my 2¢ based upon knowledge of the electroplating process.

The imperial sets are actually Rhodium plated, with a gold tinted lacquer sprayed over top. The "chrome" imperials were just clear coated I believe. The inside of the shell isn't shiny like the exterior is. The 302 in the pictures looks like it might have been done the same way.

TelePlay

That would make sense with respect to the front bottom edge of the first picture above. It shows a slight discoloration and fading along the front bottom which one would expect from a lacquer over lay rather than solid gold plate, which would not so discolor. So, not real gold, but looks a lot like it.

rdelius

If you gold plate a 302 set,the plating will be inside and outside on bare matal surfaces.It is shiny outside because the surface hast to be mirror smooth to look good.If a set was sprayed with a conductive coating to be plated, you might see overspray through the dial hole. If you plare a metal telephone you will need to ream out plunger holes and cover screw holes to help things fit properly.
At COT we switched to gold plating, it was not that more than brass plating and did not tarnish.The gold platers tended to do a nicer job also

Jim Stettler

One of the rebuilding companies was "gold" plating 302's. ISTR they sold for around $200-300.
I think it was Chicago old telephone.
On a side note Steve Hilsz used to sell brass 302 housings that he had manf. in Korea.
The phone company did chrome plate some 302's (including the handset) as retirement gifts.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.