News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 51C Plated Candlestick

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 14, 2012, 02:54:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received a WE candlestick which I bought over a week ago for $50+shipping.  The back of the perch is stamped 51 C, but there was another designation above the "C" which was stamped out.  The whole phone, including the dial sides and finger wheel have been plated with chrome (or possibly nickel).  A small threaded piece is welded to the top of the perch, presumably put there for a lamp.  All of the internal parts, except for the wires and some terminal screws, are there.  The transmitter is the "bulldog" type with an F1, and the receiver is a 706A.  The dial has no markings on the bottom, but appears to be a #5.

I am guessing that this phone was probably plated by OPW of someone else, not by the phone company, but it looks really good, and I will probably wire it, connect it to a subset, and make a working phone out of it.  Electrically, it will be the same as a 202.   

Does anyone know anything about these?

Larry

wds

Nice candlestick - and a great price.  I'd switch out the cup and transmitter for a nice nickel plated transmitter and put it on display. 
Dave