News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dialing on a Candlestick lacking a dialer

Started by Atari1977, September 15, 2012, 08:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atari1977

As the title suggests I have a 20AL phone without a dialer(haven't used it yet, trying to get a subset box). What would the general technique be for dialing with this? Would it just automatically connect to an operator?I was thinking just use a separate phone to dial with but wanted to see if there were any other options so I could use it as a standalone phone.

wds

Here's a dialer I got a while back that was included in a batch of parts I got off Ebay - nice little dialer that goes between the subset and the phone jack.  Lift the receiver, dial the number.  Has a 4 speed dial buttons.  I'm sure there are newer versions of this that would do more than this one, but I thought this was a pretty good solution for the old non-dial phones.  You can also hide this small box some where so it doesn't detract from the beauty of the older stick telephone.
Dave

stub

Atari1977 ,
                   Here's what I use on all my phones , dial and non-dial . I just haven't gotten around to putting cloth cords on it.  stub
                                         http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

If you are asking how it worked when it was manufactured, it was for common battery service before automatic (dial) service. You lift the receiver and wait for the operator to ask "number please". Today you will wait a long time for that to happen!

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: wds on September 15, 2012, 08:38:16 PM
Here's a dialer I got a while back that was included in a batch of parts I got off Ebay - nice little dialer that goes between the subset and the phone jack.  Lift the receiver, dial the number.  Has a 4 speed dial buttons.

I can't help but think the first three speed dials would just be "911" for Fire, Police or Ambulance... :D

poplar1

ISTR that you can program them for any numbers you want.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 16, 2012, 05:29:04 PM
Quote from: wds on September 15, 2012, 08:38:16 PM
Here's a dialer I got a while back that was included in a batch of parts I got off Ebay - nice little dialer that goes between the subset and the phone jack.  Lift the receiver, dial the number.  Has a 4 speed dial buttons.

I can't help but think the first three speed dials would just be "911" for Fire, Police or Ambulance... :D

Bear in mind that over the the US they were rather slower in getting '911' in fact I think there are still a few areas that don't have it.

poplar1

One of the first places to get 911 was Springfield, Mass. At least they had it by 1972. This was possible in part because they had a step-by-step central office 73- (REpublic)-- including 739- --with absorbing first selectors, so that you could dial (from other SXS lines) just the last 5 digits 9-xxxx (or 911 instead of 739-11). Since SXS switched the call on each digit, you didn't have to have 7 digits.

So I guess anyone who had 739-11xx numbers had to get number changes in order to assign 911 (or 9-11 or 739-11) for emergency calls....There was also a crossbar c.o. (STate 1- or 781-).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

Simple method would be is to hold one of those old hand held tone dialers up to the mouthpiece.
Howard
Howard

G-Man

QuoteBear in mind that over the the US they were rather slower in getting '911' in fact I think there are still a few areas that don't have it.

Actually the United States always had an emergency number that worked just as good if not better than 911; it was dial "0" for the operator. In many small towns it was the operator who actuated the fire siren when an emergency call was placed. She also connected to the police/sheriff and fire departments without the hassle, red tape and time-delay most 911 dispatchers subject you to.    

The first 911 system was cut-over in Haleyville, Alabama on February 16, 1968, by an independent telephone company.

I doubt that there are any areas in the U.S. that do not have at least basic 911 service.