News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 2554B tone issue

Started by stosh, May 13, 2016, 07:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stosh

I have a 2554B that I just installed. The phone works fine, dials out, receives calls, rings fine. The only problem is that the number tones are barely audible when the buttons are pushed. The keypad is dated 8/72.

Is this just a keypad that needs replaced, or could there be other issues?

poplar1

They are supposed to be muted in the receiver while you are dialing. They should be loud only toward the central office; also if you pick up an extension, they should be loud on that phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stosh

They are loud coming through the extension. I have a touch tone Princess and the tones are much louder in comparison. Does this have anything to do with the production dates of the keypads? 2554B is 8/72 and the Princess is 1/79.

stosh

Finally figured this phone out. When I first hooked it up, I didn't realize that it did not transmit. After playing around with the wiring for a while, I finally figured out that 1 black wire needed to be moved. Moved it to L1 or L2, (can't remember which) and bingo! Working perfect with loud clear tones coming from the receiver when dialing.

poplar1

The only black wire that should be on L1 is the black ringer wire.

Black tone pad wire goes to RR on network
Black handset wire goes to B on network
Black wire from hookswitch goes to R on network

Which one did you move?

stosh

I'm really not sure. I hooked up a two wire pigtail to L1 and L2 and just started playing around. I was getting no dial out but would transmit, or vice versa. Moving one black wire to the hot side did the trick. Another black wire is still hooked up. Didn't matter if it was hooked up or not, but I left it on.

I need to add that this is a 1972 made phone and it has a 4010 network with a terminal board mounted on top of the network and a separate polarity guard.

Eight hours later and nothing on fire, so I guess I found the right combo! :)

poplar1

Oops! I forgot about the terminal strip!
Terminal Strip:
The outside line connects to terminal strip on 1 (green) and 2 (red)
Black ringer wire and green hookswitch wire also go to 1.
Yellow hookswitch wire goes to 2. (There may be a short black wire from 2 to A.)

Black handset wire to B
Black dial wire to RR.

If you have the black dial wire on 1 or L1, this is not standard wiring.
I don't understand why you want to hear loud tones. This was not the design on most models, just as the loud clicks from a rotary dial are suppressed. One exception to muted tones in the receiver is in the square button Trimlines, but most TML users didn't hold the receiver next to their ear while dialing.

It's your phone; so you can wire it as you want. If you want standard wiring, it may be easier to find he!p, both here and in the Telephone Collectors International library. (502-503-101 issue 1)

stosh

I guess these phones are a little forgiving if they aren't wired exactly as the Bell schematic. I probably should wire it correctly, but it works and I'd hate to mess up a nice phone.

Thanks for the wiring tips. They'll probably come in handy for the next one.