News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Why we collect?

Started by Jim Stettler, January 12, 2010, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Why Do we collect? why do we share info publicly?

Once this info hits the net it is out there, It is out there "FOREVER".

My opinion is that:
"We owe it to the Future to accurately document the Knowledge we currently tap."

Think about it. Most internet  (forum) records will get cataloged and stored, to be viewed (way) eventually by musuemn achivists and   geeky "Communications Collectors."
We should try to preserve as much knowledge as possible.

If you build a collection, and buy/sell/trade that collection with other collectors.Then eventually most of these items will make their way to collectors (and museumns).   This means that the Good stuff we get now, eventually will be on public display. Right now, the info is avaliable to be accurate, we should do our best to get the old stuff figured out for "future geeks".

BTW Go to the wayback machine and search your current favorite websites. This will ensure that the site gets archived, If the site disappears, the info won't.

Jim S.

All things considered, that is the greatest contribution to society that collectors bring. An Accurate sense of the past.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

That's a great question, Jim.

I have a hard time parting with "stuff".  I have bought a lot, and I have sold very little.  I got interested in telephones when I was in my teens and my neighbor and I put a telephone line between our houses, and I was able to make the phones work.  I think I am in it for making the phones work more than I am in it for the collecting for collecting's sake.  Probably why I have recently been working on a working step-by-step switch, and why I seem to cruise through the posts where people are wanting to make their new-found treasures work or ring or be put to some viable use.

Since I started in the 60's, I have seen a lot come and go, and I still consider myself a newcomer to the hobby. 

I got away from the hobby for many years, but the Internet and the availability of information about phones has made it possible for me to learn a great deal in the last three or four years since I have been back at it.

The information that is out there is so much more vast than it was in the past.  "Way back when", only the folks that worked with telephones regularly, in their jobs and so forth were the only ones that had the information at their fingertips.  Now, just about everything is available.  Repositories like Remco is working on are very valuable.  I applaud the idea of a place to post phone pictures, like what is being discussed.  We also have clubs and groups, and forums such as this to be able to share with others and to offer encouragement to others who share our habits.  I have only been to two phone shows in my area the last couple years, but after the first, it was enough to motivate me to do the legwork for organizing the second one.

What I have learned is that everyone approaches this differently, and everyone is in a little different place in their own slant on the hobby.  To me, that gives this a very wonderful wide range of information and expertise to all.  I am all about the electonics of the phones, but after joining this group last spring and all the talk about sanding and polishing, and painting and bleaching, I was even motivated to try that out, and believe me, that is not where my patience or expertise lies, but I learned a great deal from all of you!

I am encouraged at the growing number of newcomers that come around.  Some will check in just to get some assistance, and then they are happy and off they go.  Others will stay and learn and offer help and encouragement to the next person.

Since I live in a small town and most of my family is about 250 miles away, it is a way for me to stay busy, engaged, and even challenged.  Besides, electronics has long been a hobby of mine.  I am a ham radio enthusiast as well, but I don't get on the air much.  I work day in and day out as an accountant in a commercial bank (gasp!) and this is very restful to me.

So, for me, the hobby of collecting fills a big place in my life.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dan/Panther

Jim;
I don't understand the statement that; "if we visit a site it will be archived". From what I understand It's only going to be there as long as the host is getting paid to host it. Once the host doesn't get paid, the site is deleted. If this is not true, PLEASE let us know where all of this information can be accessed, I've missed a couple sites I would dearly like to be able to read it in some archive.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

Quote from: Jim S. on January 12, 2010, 10:26:26 PM
Why Do we collect? why do we share info publicly?

Jim S.

Same reason I always liked "show and tell" in grade school.  This is just an adult version of it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

D/P

Google "wayback machine"

I actually is an archive of websites throughout time.

-Bill
-Bill G

dsk

When my interest woke up at an age of about 7, I didn't have any plan, or idea about this, and I still don't have.  It is fun to learn, cooperate, discuss and it is a part of our roots. I feel attached to a few of my phones, or or the memories around them.

I have spend unreasonable amounts of money and time on this, at least some tries to convince me about this.

At this level I have no problem selling/swapping parts, or telephones if it may help other collectors.
The problem is, a fair price + P&P makes it cost so much, I feel shameful.

dsk

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Phonesrfun on January 13, 2010, 12:31:45 AM
D/P

Google "wayback machine"

I actually is an archive of websites throughout time.

-Bill

I go to internetarchive.org  they have the wayback machine link.

They have a vast library of  many (free) digitized publications and movies. The internet archive contains many seperate archives. Among them are the library of Congress, and the Prelinger film archive

The Prelinger archive has a lot of the phone company movies and shorts.
This is where the Ebay "telephone" DVD's get their movies. You can get titles from the auctions, and "burn" your own copy.

Some of the other publications are "Bell Telephone magazne".
IThere is also some public domain telephony books that have been scanned as well.

Have Fun
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.