News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got 4 Payphones!

Started by HarrySmith, September 17, 2018, 09:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotarDad

Here is a good thread on the Decorator payphone.  One of the pics shows the original 236G ringer:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11280.msg123209#msg123209

Paul

AE_Collector

As for the decorator payphone, Harry restores and sells phones frequently, they aren't all for his collection. Many people who would want a 3 slot payphone simply want it to look correct and work as a home phone not having any interest in what us inside. As such, if Harry were going to sell this phone I suspect it would be much quicker and more profitable to restore it cosmetically and sell it as what it is.

Terry

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RotarDad on September 20, 2018, 10:54:48 AM
Here is a good thread on the Decorator payphone.  One of the pics shows the original 236G ringer:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11280.msg123209#msg123209

Side note: I believe the ringer is the same one that is used in a WE Contour.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

I am confused :o

I did aquire these to sell but as usual I am thinking about keeping one. I cannot decide if I want to keep it as a decorator set or return it to a 236G. Maybe I will just get it working and sell it with the rest of them. One thing I am going to do is turn one of them into a Miami Dolphin phone. Terry is correct I am not restoring these for a collector, none of them will be collecting coins. I am selling them for a man cave or garage phone. I appreciate all the comments and advice. I am sure I will need more help as work progresses. I have a 3 day weekend coming up & my wife is out of town so I will be spending a lot of time on them!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Armored cords are very restrictive for home use. Jmo.
But you could go with a longer armored cord, other than a standard 3' I've used 54" before, gives a comfortable Length to use for home use. A guy on eBay sells them fair price.
And your better off getting another hopper, rather than try to rebuilt that one. Reason being, some small wire springs are hard to get right, and are easily damaged if you don't put them in properly. Unless someone here is able to rebuilt yours. I've been down that road before, and it was frustrating, and Paul V had warned me prior to. Again, jmo.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on September 20, 2018, 08:25:09 AM
I took a closer look at the declorator set and you are all correct. I found a large screw stuck in it keeping the coin flap shut. I also located the 4010B network. I have attached a few pictures. I noticed quite a few wires not connected also. Besides the ringer is there anything else I would need to restore it to the original 236G configuration?
All the WE decorator payphone sets I have seen had the coin track removed and a sheet metal chute to drop the coins into the box. I think someone already started converting this set back to a real payphone.
You could probably fit  a trimline ringer where the ringer goes. Early trimline ringers used a brass gong, later trimline sets used a different metal. I like the sound of the brass gong better. Trimline ringers also have a colored piece of plastic over the ringer (red, green, blue, gold). I suspect that the different colors mean something, but I have never tried researching them. It may have to do with the tone or pitch of the ringer, just a guess.
Jim S.
BTW I don't collect payphones but I do have over a dozen of them.
You live, You learn,

Payphone installer

In order to restore he 236G you need the ringer mounting bracket. Not easy to find but I may have one, I also have the ringers new in the box,somewhere.  I also trade parts.
Jim

HarrySmith

Quote from: Payphone installer on September 21, 2018, 08:55:56 PM
In order to restore he 236G you need the ringer mounting bracket. Not easy to find but I may have one, I also have the ringers new in the box,somewhere.  I also trade parts.
Jim

PM sent.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I now have 3 coin relays to use in returning my 236G. I have attached a picture, they all look basically the same to me. What do you guys think? Is one better than the other?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Are they for three slots? They would have four terminals on the right side. Behind the armature.
KEN

HarrySmith

Yes, all for 3 slots, just pulled them from 223G's.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Well if you're hoppers are complete, sounds like you should be good to go. You will need to match up the arm on the relay to match up with the coin direction vein. So you'll need to operate the relay, Then push the relay right up to the hopper. Put your screws in and operate by hand a couple times to see that everything is free moving.
KEN

oldguy

So Jim, if 12 payphones isn't considered a collection, how many does it take ;) ;) :) :). I only have 6, so I have a ways to go :)
Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: oldguy on September 23, 2018, 10:32:29 PM
So Jim, if 12 payphones isn't considered a collection, how many does it take ;) ;) :) :). I only have 6, so I have a ways to go :)
If is only a collection if you are willing to admit  it is . I am still in denial.
I have a lot of cool payphone stuff as well.
Here is a link that has a pdf of some HTF modern" phone from" Signs
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16255.15

Jim S.
You live, You learn,