News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Peroxide Experiment.

Started by HarrySmith, February 18, 2011, 08:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am working on a very dirty SC 1543, it has a clear plastic number card cover that was very badly discolored. I decided to try a peroxide treatment. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and purchased Clairol Clairoxide 20. It is 20% peroxide hair dye. I decided not to go with the Retrobrite paste and went with just liquid. I added a pinch of Oxiclean and set it out in the South Florida sun for 4 hours. I also put the switch pileup cover in and a part of a badly discolored 500 I was sanding. The results are good! The dial cover and switch cover showed good improvement. The Blue 500 part came out great! I am going to try the clear plastic SC parts again tomorrow with longer sun exposure. Pictures below.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 18, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
I am going to try the clear plastic SC parts again tomorrow with longer sun exposure. Pictures below.

You guys in Florida, with the year-round sun!  Humph!

:)

-Bill G

stopthemachine

Awesome--great results!  I'm actually about to try the magic peroxide recipe tonight.

I'm glad you tried it with a 1543 phone--I had just posted about results of peroxide with this series of phones.  I have a pink 1543 that looks salmon and a yellow 1543 that could use a little color work.  (The bakelite yellow handset looks fine though--just the case needs a "charge.")  Any suggestions with this series of phones or can I do the same treatment as the 500/1500/2500 series (the PVC plastics)?  I know too that certain colors don't work so well which is why I was especially wondering about yellow...because I also have some semi-funky yellow WE phones too.

The South Jersey area has been seeing the 50s the last few days, but nothing like Florida.   :)  In the summer, South Jersey will be perfect for giving the phones a peroxide bath, but until then, I'll get the lamp out. 

HarrySmith

Yeah, gets kinda boring, always green, always sunny. Guess we all have our burdens to bear.
The reason I went with liquid is last time I tried the paste was on a Yellow 500 and ended up with spotty results. The bad results were due to uneven application of the paste. You can see the liquid worked great on the Blue 500 piece. I would not be afraid to use the liquid on any color.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on February 18, 2011, 08:54:07 PM
Quote from: HarrySmith on February 18, 2011, 08:42:41 PM
I am going to try the clear plastic SC parts again tomorrow with longer sun exposure. Pictures below.

You guys in Florida, with the year-round sun!  Humph!

:)

Yeah, I second that Harumph!  ;)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Quote from: Brinybay on February 19, 2011, 04:15:33 AM
Yeah, I second that Harumph!  ;)

Seems to be us "Pacific Northwest" guys complaining here! Looks like a beautiful day today here in Vancouver. Going to go do a weather check in Washington too though. Point Roberts WA here I come.

Terry

HarrySmith

OK, second treatment on the clear SC parts today, this time a full 8 hours in the South Florida sun. No further improvement in removing the yellowing. Still I am very happy with the results, it is a marked improvement over the original state and although still yellowed they are now at least useable. I am very excited about the results with the Blue 500 part, it looks perfect. At $5.00 for a pint I will be looking for a different supplier but I plan on using it again.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

The light blue and light green or turquoise colors seem like touchy ones to use the peroxide treatment on. It is good to hear that you had good results with light blue Harry.

Terry

stopthemachine

How does the treatment work on yellow phones?

HarrySmith

Yeah, this time it was great! I think the secret is the liquid which gives an even application. Last time I used the paste formula and ended up with a blotchy color. I would use the liquid on any color.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

GG

For those of us who don't have direct access to sunlight due to geography, time of year, being in an apartment on the wrong side of the building, or being in a place where stuff left outside can get stolen:

The retrobright sites refer to "ultraviolet," but there are two types: long wave, also known as "blacklight" often used as a special lighting effect (makes "fluorescent" paint glow, etc); and short wave, which is known to cause eye damage and skin cancer from overexposure, and also makes plastics turn icky colors. 

Which one to use for un-fading plastics? 

I suspect they're referring to short wave (because with the peroxide, it might reverse the original chemical reaction that turned the plastic an icky color), but does anyone here know?   And if short wave, then where can I find the bulbs or fixtures for that?   

The whole point of Retrobright paste was to get an even mixture with the peroxide so you wouldn't have to soak large parts in a large vat of peroxide.  But the information I've found refers to a British laundry product as one of the ingredients: what's the US equivalent?

Also beware of this:  Peroxide, particularly the stronger stuff, when mixed with acetone, produces a highly unstable explosive.  I don't know if there are any other combinations with peroxide and other chemicals that will blow up; I have to believe the Retrobright formula won't.   But the main thing is:  If you purchase large quantities of strong peroxide, you may find yourself with a visit from the FBI or Homeland Security, who may think you're trying to make bombs.  So be prepared to show them your phone refurbishing process, and be friendly about it (who knows, you might get them interested in old phone equipment too:-).  BTW, this is why the regulations about liquids carried on airplanes: a bottle of this and a bottle of that, mixed hastily in the aircraft bathroom, equals a bomb.  In case anyone here has ever grouched about those rules, now you know why they exist.   And PLEASE DO NOT publish the detail about peroxide plus acetone in forums frequented by the general public: although the information isn't classified, it's not common knowledge and should not become common knowledge. 

Also, whenever using these chemicals in the home: exercise all the usual precautions such as using a well ventilated area, no smoking or other sources of flame or ignition anywhere near, wear rubber gloves, wash your hands when done, and so on. 

Bill

I think it is short-wave UV that gives you a tan and causes sunburn. Not to mention skin cancer if you get too much of it. You might try a tanning bed - perhaps a local tanning salon would let you put your phone in their machine when they have no customers.

Bill

Dan

Great results on the light blue. Make sure the mix is the consistency of tapioca pudding. Don't microwave it too long or it will thicken too much.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

stopthemachine

Quote from: Bill on February 20, 2011, 09:53:58 AM
I think it is short-wave UV that gives you a tan and causes sunburn. Not to mention skin cancer if you get too much of it. You might try a tanning bed - perhaps a local tanning salon would let you put your phone in their machine when they have no customers.

Bill
Haha.  That is a really funny idea!  Can you imagine showing up to Hollywood Tans, after-hours, (or during regular business hours for that matter) with a cart full of phones?  It would be like something from a sitcom--I could see Alan Young doing something like that for Mr. Ed: Ed wants a tan and now Wilbur has to explain to the workers that his horse wants a tan.  Sorry for my digression, but I just had to say it.   :D 

cloyd

I have been reading this string with interest; I have a tenite ivory WE302 to de-yellow.  I am a little confused.  I was assuming that you put the treated phone in the sun for the heat.  So, you are putting an OPAQUE peroxide paste on the phone and the UV rays from the sun speeds up the whitening?  Perhaps it is the science teacher in me but has anyone tested this claim?  Does the shady side get less whitening than the sunny side?  If I am patient, can I get the same results indoors?  If so, how long?  Just wondering.  Thank you for the clarifications.
Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885