News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need your advice or opinion NOW!!!!

Started by Dewdrop, February 07, 2011, 09:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

I just won an old phone (I think a WE 202) on ebay. I emailed the shipping tips for shipping a VINTAGE phone (using bubble wrap, keep the handset and phone wrapped separately, when the box is closed make sure no movement, etc....). I said I would pay by Paypal after I heard from them. Here's the response:

"I put the phone in a box filled with packing peanuts, it is all ready to go. I hope this is OK. If you want to add insurance we can do that. Otherwise I will have to open it and repack it and there will possibly be an additional charge if I have to put it in a larger box. Let me know."

The seller has over 1000+ 100% positive feedback. I looked briefly at his feedback and didn't see any phones that he had recently sold and shipped.

Also on Returns: No Returns Accepted
Shipping: $14.00
Distance: is approximately 4 to 5 state away

So what NOW???

Debbie
Debbie

Kenny C

JMHO i would pay the extra charge to get it to me safe.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dewdrop

Packing peanuts seems too SCARY!

So have him REPACK it for an additional charge or ADD insurance or BOTH?

Debbie
Debbie

Kenny C

I would have both added. Insurance is an extra dollar and whats the most he could charge you for some bubble wrap. But this is what I would do.5 states is a long way to travel with a 70+ yr. old phone.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

AE_Collector

Only says "Additional charge" if has to open and repack in A LARGER BOX. Assuming the box is already large enough the only concern is packing panuts rather than bubble wrap. Maybe if it is well wrapped in bubble wrap and then in the box with peanuts it will be okay?

Terry

Dewdrop

I'll ask if there was any bubble wrap used? Will also ask about where the handset is. If the handset is resting on the phone, isn't that a BIG NO, NO?

Debbie
Debbie

HarrySmith

Yes, leaving the handset on the cradle is a big NO NO. I do not think it is fair but if you want the phone I would pay the extra to have it repacked correctly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Can you find out if the seller left the handset in the cradle or next to the base.  If the handset and cradle contact each other during shipment, you are very likely to find pieces of broken bakelite in the box when it arrives.  I do not think that the seller has a justification to charge extra to pack the item properly.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 07, 2011, 10:47:29 PM
I do not think that the seller has a justification to charge extra to pack the item properly.
Larry

Sounds to me like the seller used the threat of charging more money because he/she is too lazy to repack the item.  Probably most people would say OK, it's good enough.  It shouldn't cost any more to do it properly.  But I'm like Kenny, I always offer to pay more to have it done right.  Most people do it right and don't charge any additional funds.

Sargeguy

It's a 202, made of metal, I think it will probably be safe.  I would be a little worried if it has an E-1 handset, but if its an F-1 I would throw caution to the wind.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dewdrop

The guy it going to repack and will get back with me.

Debbie
Debbie

Wallphone

I don't agree with having to pay extra for good packing. If I were to buy two phones and the seller quoted a price to ship them both in the same box, I will pay extra to have them sent in two boxes.
I'm going to change my eBay auctions to - Shipping will be $12.50. Safe packing will be $2 extra.
It looks like you already have in under control but I would have told the seller to pack it right, or keep it.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Wallphone on February 08, 2011, 07:50:44 AM
I don't agree with having to pay extra for good packing. If I were to buy two phones and the seller quoted a price to ship them both in the same box, I will pay extra to have them sent in two boxes.
I'm going to change my eBay auctions to - Shipping will be $12.50. Safe packing will be $2 extra.
It looks like you already have in under control but I would have told the seller to pack it right, or keep it.
I totally agree...the shipping charge seller lists on eBay is to get your item safely to your door. THIS INCLUDES INSURANCE, seller is responsible for insurance to your door. Not an additional charge for insurance. The shipping quote is shipping and insurance, simple as that. If you are unsure, I would go to eBay/Paypal to get their clarification. Tell the seller: "I want the phone I paid for in the condition it was shown in the pictures." Does your packing suffice? ...other Doug
Kidphone

Wallphone

Purchasing insurance is not a substitute for good packing. To add to what Doug said, most Sellers & Buyers are not aware that it is the Seller's responsibility that the package is delivered to your front door.
The Seller should be the one paying for this insurance, not the Buyer.

Dewdrop

So far, all is well. The dude repacked the phone and didn't charge any extra $$$.

Will let ya'll know when it arrives. How it arrives......

THANKS for all the advice and opinions.

Debbie
Debbie