News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Thanks guys, hey Jim I'd like to see your set up when your done. That sounds cool!
KEN

Key2871

I'm thinking about a payphone control circuit next.
I had one years ago, in the ATCA. When that seemed to spark Stan's interest in building one. His is like the Cadillac of controllers compared to what I had.
But now I'm going to do something with my single slot.
Have lots of ideas so now I get down to design.
KEN

RotarDad

I just realized one additional advantage your workspace may have - it won't get covered with a bunch of junk that then has to be moved before any work can begin!
Paul

Key2871

Exactly. I had a full size desk at my last house, I used as a work bench, and it was forever getting cluttered. And I'd have to take the time to clear it off. At times things were falling on the floor. But now, for the past eight plus years just have a small shed, and in the spring it's hard to find space. I just have shelves on one side and power tools on the other.
Next several days come the hoe down, I find more stuff that's not doing anything, and it either goes, or I rearrange it to clean it up.
So Yea, a small bench is good at this point. And I really like the way things are built in the back, and can't fall off and break on the floor. If I have to take a phone down some to fix it, when I'm done I just pick up, and move on to the next one.
It gives me something to do when I'm going stir crazy, cuz it gets boring just sittin around sometimes, ask anyone who's retired, they'll tell you the same thing.
KEN

Key2871

I was looking for an inexpensive light for projects that needed light. I found this,

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Ideaworks-Super-Bright-Portable-LED-Lamp-White-JB6921-NEW/253602631299

?epid=710144648&hash=item3b0be50e83:g:1swAAOSwwS1a7Jn3

I got it today, it's pretty good, in darker areas it does provide some bright light. I know the leds could be better, brighter. And I do have some, and I'm tempted to replace some at least to gain illumination.
The first is lowest, the second is brightest.
This can be used with four AA batteries,or with the USB cable provided. I used my cell phone charger to power it, or you could use the computer port.
KEN

19and41

Looking at the ad you posted, they showed a similar light with COB LEDs.  Wonder if they are brighter?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

That may be new, because they had nothing listed when I got this that was cob or I would have gone that route. This actually isn't bad, I am thinking of a side thing that I can either use Velcro or cut key ways in the base so I can hang it. I can use it vertically, and pull the light straight out, and it does provide pretty good light.
It's better than the other light I have, it gives brighter light closer to the bench.
KEN

19and41

I have a smaller light along that line but it is clamshell like, and has rare earth magnets under the outer wall of one side so it will stick to metal walls.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Well I put keys in the back of the light, so I could mount it and just pull the head up and out to turn the light on. It's not really a thing of beauty on the back/ bottom, but nobody sees the back when it's mounted up on the board. The light would be more useful if they just put those in when making it.
But it works great! I also did the cord through the back so it's out of sight, and now runs with a USB charger. I took the feet off to open the unit up to drill safely I had a minor problem with a wire that got ripped off, the touch switch of all things. But soldered it back on and everything is good. It's only a copper disk that the wire is soldered to, but a couple dab of solder to hold it all back in place, and done.
I mounted and adjusted the screws while I had it apart, second picture.
Then put the back screws in, put the feet back and fine tuned the screws and whala !
Take a look.
KEN

HarrySmith

Awesome! Adding little things & tweaking the set up it just gets better & better.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

That looks good!  Here is the type I have.  It runs on 3 AA cells.

— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Thanks guys,
I have something similar to the clam shell, but it either hangs via a hanger it has, or it can stick to metal. But the magnet isn't all that strong, and for what I need it for, the hanger is useless.
I did try to use it last time I used my AMP champ for making cables.
It was bright enough, but I had no way to hold it in place.
This light folds out of the way when I don't need it. And I just pull it towards me and adjust it where I need it and it stays put. I was thinking about a drafting light, but I think it's going to take up a lot of room, even when I don't need it.
I had one years ago, but it was not all that great, it kept settling and I would have to lift it back up again at the worse time's.
I wasn't all that impressed with this at first,  but it's quickly growing on me.
KEN

Key2871

Test bench in action. Not much today, just a few cordless phones.
KEN

HarrySmith

Cool, really nice setup. One day I will have a place for my workshop. The dining room table is all I have for now.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Well what ever works, right? Just keep the Mrs happy in the meantime. But this has been beyond great, so easy to work on stuff, other than phone's too. I'm glad I took the time to throw it together. I've even come into larger pieces of ply wood and am thinking about a larger counter. It maybe one that has wings to take down when I don't need them.
KEN