News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New award? Dirtiest phone on eBay

Started by Adam, December 01, 2010, 03:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

After a good cleaning and buffing.  Amazingly, the body has no cracks or chips.  Just some dulling around the cradle from years of wear.

I had another shinier handset that has the spitcup, and the one that came with the phone had a crack.   I had a slightly less moth-eaten felt base, so I did make a couple of swaps from the original.....  

I am going to have to go out and find an original desk set cord for it, since I want an original.
-Bill G

gpo706

Isn't it amazing how, sometimes these old timers polish up quite nice...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dennis Markham

Beautiful phone, Bill.  Looks great.

Russ Kirk

Great job Bill.

I notice the brass monophone tag at the bottom center.

Is that original or something you added?
Either way, nice touch.

Also,  where did you get that tag?

Russ...
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Russkirk on December 03, 2010, 11:42:59 AM
Great job Bill.

I notice the brass monophone tag at the bottom center.

Is that original or something you added?
Either way, nice touch.

Also,  where did you get that tag?

Russ...

The tag at the bottom appears to be original.  I have two bases;  One with the tag and one without.  The base that is missing the tag does have the two holes drilled for the brads that hold it in.

It is not brass.  Rather, it appears to be heavy paper, probably card stock from way back when, and the word Masterphone is printed on it.  It is covered with a cellulose plastic cover that is yellowed, which is probably why it looks brass.  These plastic covers are almost always broken or missing, since they get brittle.  I consider myself fortunate to have one that is original.

Also, unlike the 900 series Monophone that has two small screws that hold the name tag on, this 700 uses very small brads that bend out from side to side on the inside of the base.

-Bill G

AE_Collector

Yes the phone (and tag) are Masterphone (Kellogg), not Monophone (AE).

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: gpo706 on December 02, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
No thanks Dennis, that one about the mummified roaches still give me the boak...

How about arachnids, like the one that was in my 5302?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: masstel on December 01, 2010, 03:54:22 PM
If we had such an award, I would nominate this:

http://tinyurl.com/38hu3ac

Those are actually the best kind.  They usually sell cheap, clean up well, and still function.  Here are my two dirtiest.  Dirtiest exterior was a white 62 500.  This isn't a true "before" picture, I wiped it off a bit first, but the entire phone looked like the handset and line cord and underneath the finger wheel.

Dirtiest interior was the last 5302 I got:

After.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

This old 302 was fun to bring back. Two before and two after ...
Jorge

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: JorgeAmely on December 05, 2010, 05:58:01 PM
This old 302 was fun to bring back. Two before and two after ...

Jorge....I missed this earlier, outstanding work. Simply beautiful....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I found this in my basement in a long forgotten box. I received it from a retired phone man years ago. I thought I had chucked it. What a mess!!
Kidphone

unbeldi

Well, how about this pretty sleeper...

A November 1941 black Tenite 302, one of those made in the first year of thermoplastic telephones by Western.

A find of last weekend, but it sure has problems....

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Mr. Bones

Had to weigh in, on this subject...

Bought a 'parts' 10/59 554 recently, was wanting the soft-plastic shell for another project. The shell arrived in 9 discernible pieces, plus crumbles, and the interior was less than I had hoped for. Probably works, still, though. I will find out this weekend....the show must go on! ;)

My apologies for my checkered pyjamas, in advance... 'Casual Friday', here at home, lol!

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus