"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wanna see something really cute?

Started by HobieSport, June 25, 2009, 04:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Quote from: foots
Hobie, might I suggest a .22 and a flashlight for predator elimination? Most wildlife that'll eat your ducks are nocturnal, so after locking up your ducks, keep an eye open as the predators will most likely be looking around. A .22 doesn't make much noise so it shouldn't wake anybody.

I like they way you think, Joshua. Yes I have a 22. But that would be very illegal here. But just for the sake of polite discussion, that is exactly what I would do. It's a Marlin 14 shot 22 long rifle repeater. Very accurate and fast.  And less expensive than a Ruger 10/22. I have quiet ammunition. I also have an airsoft sniper rifle with a scope.

Unfortunately California still can't make up it's mind if it's legal. And it would be illegal to shoot it here. And then the kindly local Sheriffs might just shoot me.

So...I don't ever have a finger on the trigger, and I never touch the guns.

What are the gun laws like in Louisiana?

I have no desire to shoot anything, ever, but then again, I do love my ducks.

Polite conversation only.

I don't want to be in the newspapers, but it's sort of a fun theoretical concept:

Last seen: Hobie walking in the forest, half nekid, muttering: "don't mess with my ducks". Scary. ;)

-Matt

foots

Hobie, I live in a small neighborhood just outside the corp. limit of town. Firing a gun isn't a big deal in my area so long as its not a 10 guage or a .30-06 or something.  I have had to take down a few possums that were eating my cats' food and may have gotten a couple of the kittens. I also use an old Marlin .22, as it is both very effective and quiet.
  Now, if you have access to a good pellet rifle, such as a Benjamin or something, you'll have the ability to dispatch animals such as possums, raccoons, nutria and such, but range will be less than a .22. Have you considered setting a trap? Traps can be very effective and makes no noise at all. This will also allow you an option to move the animal to another location and releasing it rather than killing it. I hope you don't  think I just go around killing everything in sight. I only kill what I can eat or what I have no other means of safely removing.

"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Ellen

There are always more vermin.  What about improved fencing?  I am planning to sink posts and bury fencing one foot deep or to bedrock, whichever comes first.  I will run fence alongside a retaining wall on 2 sides and across the yard on the other 2 sides.  And roof the pen with fence also.  Raccoons can wipe out a flock of chickens very quickly, and they make a nasty mess in the process and don't clean up afterwards.  Last fall, during the massacree, one chickie escaped and went down the hill to live with the neighbor's Rottweiler.

Or maybe the ducks could live in the house.  I don't think Mariko would mind ..

Ellen

Hey, Hobie, I am looking at the Google Maps street view of Mendocino, and there is a geodesic dome right on the shore, there.  Does someone live in it?  Besides, do you know what are the yellow-flowering plants all along the highway?  My resolution doesn't get that close.

Dan/Panther

Problem I have here with my Dogs, is Coyotes. I've seen Coyotes clear a 6 foot fence without a running start. Almost like a cat would do it. Very discouraging to think about, because they can clear a fence grab a small dog, and be gone before you know it. Hasn't happened yet, but one guy was walking his poodle on a small dirt road, a coyote busted out of the brush, grabbed the poodle and was gone that quick. At any time you can see 10 posters for lost small dogs, I quess the owners are in denial.
Coyotes, will actually send a fewmale in heat up to a fence to lure males close tro the fence so the others can grab it.
Another menace, Bobcats, they will stay in one spot for 15 hours without moving, waiting for just the right moment to pounce.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

QuoteAnd it would be illegal to shoot it here.

Sadly Hobie people shoot guns in my neighborhood all the time and get away with it. 

Examples:

A couple of years ago the missus and I are sitting on the couch one evening about 7pm and hear, bang bang bang about nine times.  "Handgun" I say, "and close".  Sure enough it was a few houses over, gang hit, they shot and killed the first person to answer the door, unloaded a whole 9mm clip on the poor girl who opened the door.

Sometime before that on a similar night we hear the same thing, "Handgun" I again comment, "Sounded like it was over by the store."  This time it was a gang killing in front of the mini-mart, kid my wife's oldest boy was in the high school band with, they laid in wait for him and when he came out they shot him dead in the parking lot. 

It's like a macabre game around here of Identify The Firearm and Location.  "Sounded like an SKS rifle over on Stadium Road" or "large caliber handgun on Maple".  If people were not dying it'd be laughable, but they shoot to kill and usually do. 

bwanna

heath, where do you live ???  you should get the heck out of dodge. i would rather live next door to joshua shootin the critters :o
donna

Ellen

I have wondered that before, myself.  What's a nice guy like you (you are the Cilvil War re-enactor of us, no?) doing in a neighborhood like that???  Go live in Hobie's house.

Love, Mom

McHeath

Yeah it's weird living here. The problem is that while the neighbors immediately around us are fine, mostly, we have massive low income apartments a few blocks away that are gangland USA.  The kwazyness spills over into our streets, hence the Dodge City style shootouts. 

Big Civil War re-enactment this weekend in Fresno, largest on the West Coast.  We will be Union this event, lots of gunfire and no one ever hits anything. ;)

HobieSport

Dear Heath; it sounds like a war zone.

Please accept my condolences.

I'm sorry that your sons are growing up in a war zone.

I have two sons just growing up.

It's hard, and I'm very sorry.

Friends and family mean a lot to me, for what it's worth.

-Matt
-Matt