News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old Desk Phone - Siemens?

Started by wds, March 18, 2013, 07:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Picked this one up, and I think it's a Siemens, but i haven't been able to verify it for sure.  Does anyone know who the maker is for this phone?   Also, how does the fingerwheel come off?  I don't see a screw anywhere, but there must be a way to take it off for cleaning.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

There were several German manufacturers.  Here is an interesting website with information:
http://www.henderson-tele.com/vtm/de/de/1933-1948.html.
( dead link 02-22-22 )

It looks like the finger wheel is held by a Ericsson-style screw in the center.  The screw is grabbed by the two holes on the head.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just took a closer look at your picture, and I see that the phone has the "antler" type cradle ears.  I am thinking that it might be Hungarian.  It's a nice find at any rate.

Look at this: link.

Larry

wds

It's very dirty, but no chips or cracks that I have found.  Phone works, ringer rings.  I'm quite happy - just need to know what I bought.........  I've seen this phone before, but can't remember where. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Did you see it here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/stc2724.htm?  I am placing my bet on Hungarian.

QuoteA 2724 subscriber telephone, has been seen,  with a near-perfect Standard Villamossági R. T. decal, indicating it was made in the Hungarian factory.   This telephone is identical, except for the dial finger wheel, to the same model made by Bell Telephone Manufacturing in Antwerp, and other ITT factories in Europe and South America.   The Hungarian finger wheel has a curved 'window' above the centre for the number card, rather than a round number card typical of 2724 sets made elsewhere. (There is a detailed description of the 2724 set in the July 1935 issue of ITT's journal Electrical Communication.)

wds

I think you found it.  Hungarian Standard Electric. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

That phone is the older Hungarian cousin of your Argentinian one.  Now you need the Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Belgian, Austrian, Czech, etc. versions :)

Larry