News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another trip to the antique store

Started by MDK, May 14, 2011, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDK

On today's trip I spied a few nice looking phones, but did not buy a thing, out of fear of spending too much on something I'd regret... and threats of bodily injury from my wife.

What I found:

1. A black WE554 with black metal dial. I looked like it was in very good shape except that the cord looked as if something had been chewing it. Price marked $15.

2. A PTT phone, kind of a boxy looking black phone, black dial, with a white button on the upper right just in front of the cradle. It was in very nice condition, however I thought the guy might have been asking too much... $65.

3.  A Stromberg Carlson with a blank face and a crank (1258?). Rather scraped up, the crank did not turn. $45.

4. A black WE500 with metal dial, good condition, except the cord was eaten. $29.

I'm still a phone newbie. Were any of these worth what the asking price is? I know the guy and I think he may be willing to cut me some slack, but decided against any purchases today.

HarrySmith

The metal fingerwheel on a WE indicates on older model. Cords are easily replaced. I would pay $15 $20 for any older WE.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

I would have got the 554. I would of tried to get the price down on the 500.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Sargeguy

I already have an early black 554, so I am all set but $15 is a good price if you don't have one.  $20 would be pushing it.  Everything else sounds overpriced.  That PTT is worth about $5.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

MDK

Went back to the antique store yesterday.  The black 554 was still there. I mentioned the cord was in poor shape, and bought it for 12 dollars.

It looks to be all original, but pretty filthy inside. The parts are mostly stamped 10-58, except I think the transmitter is stamped 9-58. I've been cleaning all day. The paint on the mounting plate came off fairly easily. The hook has a bit of corrosion on it, but it works well.

Here are "before" pics:

More pics when I get finished cleaning.

MDK

MDK

Thanks, y'all for the advice and encouragement!

Dennis Markham

MDK, looks like you did a great job cleaning up that phone.  I'd say you got your money's worth!  Congrats.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MDK

Same antique store... I finally got this 302. I talked it down to 10 dollars. The finger wheel is slightly bent, a few cracks, lots of dings and scratches, and one cradle ear is broken off. It works fine.

Here is what it looks like after a bit of epoxy. I have not figured out exactly how to match the color with epoxy, so I'll probably end up painting the shell, but it's been fun to mess with.

I figure, if nothing else, it's worth at least ten dollars for the working parts.

MDK

I've decided not to repaint the shell, but to just paint the reconstructed epoxy ear and blend the paint. If you squint and stand back a ways (perhaps Texas) you can barely even tell the ear is not original. I sanded and painted the dial. I've also glued the corner cracks and may attempt to fill them eventually.

I was inspired by another post where someone rebuilt the missing ear on a 302, and wanted to see if I could do it. I'm happy to say it came out better than I had hoped. I also think I don't want to do it ever again. It's a major headache, but I learned a lot.

Dennis Markham

MDK

Got it all back together, put on a black cloth cord and a new dial card which reads "PEnnsylvania-6 5000". Works like a dream, and it's the first phone in my newfound obsession that my wife actually likes.

LarryInMichigan

It looks really nice.  A year from now, you won't believe how many phones you have :)

Larry

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: MDK on August 16, 2011, 08:19:59 PM

Got it all back together, put on a black cloth cord and a new dial card which reads "PEnnsylvania-6 5000". Works like a dream, and it's the first phone in my newfound obsession that my wife actually likes.

Looks great! I like that dial card! ;-)