News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

handset types

Started by Steve, December 28, 2008, 04:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

I have a 202 with the F style handset , and I know the 202 came with both E and F styles. was the deciding factor the year of manufacture or a customer choice?

I have also seen 302's with E handsets. I thought the F handset was the only choice for that model?

what about a 354? did they ever have an E handset? ( that would be COOL!)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

BDM

Quote from: Steve on December 28, 2008, 04:29:31 PM

QuoteI have a 202 with the F style handset , and I know the 202 came with both E and F styles. was the deciding factor the year of manufacture or a customer choice?
[/b]

I believe around 1937, the F1 became available. Remember, F1 sets were used as replacements in the field for D1 mounts.

QuoteI have also seen 302's with E handsets. I thought the F handset was the only choice for that model?
[/b]

To my knowledge, only early 302s came with the E1 handset. Now, that doesn't mean once again that ma/pa independents didn't replace them with whatever they had on hand. Be it an E1.

Quotewhat about a 354? did they ever have an E handset? ( that would be COOL!)
[/b]

In a word, no.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

what about a 354? did they ever have an E handset? ( that would be COOL!)
[/b]

In a word, no.

:(

So, my 202 when new should have had an E1 handset? and it was just swaped sometime later? I prefer the E-1 so.. my question is, can I just swap back? mine has the mini network installed in the base to eliminate the ringer box. will this make any difference?

where would I be able to find one in good shape on the cheap? I assume i will need the transmitter , receiver , handset , and caps.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

The E1 and F1 handsets are interchangeable, and the mini-network won't make a difference one way or the other.

Where to get one cheap?  The short answer is nowhere.   ;)   Occasionally on ebay they get prices as low as $40 or $50, but a nice one generally goes for more.  Non-ebay online sources charge much, much more. 

= DARRIN =

McHeath

My 354 has a G series handset on it.  The handset dates from 1970, and the phone from 1951, so who knows how that handset got there.  I have seen at least 2 other 354s with G handsets on them.

Steve

Well, I found one on the bay. it looks rough, I'm not sure how well it would clean up.  ???

what would be a good price for this? is it worth bidding on?

heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Western-Electric-E-1-Telephone-Handset_W0QQitemZ250349171807QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

Well... if you didn't have one, and you really wanted one, there's nothing wrong with spending $10 on this one.  Be aware that even though you may be able to scrub the dirt off of it, it looks as though the finish will still be rough and dull, which is a very common thing on handsets this old.  If the finish is really rough, you could get away with painting it a high-gloss black, and that would make it quite presentable.

On a brighter note, you'd be two-thirds of the way to a seamless handset, which is very desirable.  I'm not sure if you know what that means, so I'll explain.  The casting process that produces handset parts leaves excess plastic in the finished parts, where the molds met.  The older handsets had that excess plastic removed by hand (by grinding, sanding, and polishing), leaving a smooth handset, and smooth caps.  Later on, to save labor, the parts were put in a jig, and a groove was carved where the seams of the molds left unfinished plastic, thereby routing out the excess plastic and giving a finished appearance quickly and less expensively.

People generally prefer the older, smooth handsets, which are called "seamless," over the later ones which are called "grooved."  It's really difficult to find a handset which is fully seamless, because the caps were easily broken, and when they were replaced, they were replaced with the then-current caps, which were grooved. For example, the one you found has a grooved transmitter cap, while the receiver cap and the handset handle are seamless.
= DARRIN =

Steve

Thanks!

I'll see what happens in 7 days now :)

one more question. Is the transmitter complete? aren't they rounded up normally, rather than flat like this one?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

Steve

Quote from: McHeath on December 28, 2008, 06:45:21 PM
My 354 has a G series handset on it.  The handset dates from 1970, and the phone from 1951, so who knows how that handset got there.  I have seen at least 2 other 354s with G handsets on them.

do you think they made these type of repairs in the field? I cant even picture how that looks ???  do you have a pic of the setup?
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

McHeath

Here's a picture of the phone on our kitchen wall

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=94.0

It's actually, I learned from help with folks on this forum, a 357 party line model, but of course those days are over so it's just functioning as a single line now.

Steve

Nice looking phone. the intercom is pretty cool too.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

Quote from: Steve on December 28, 2008, 10:22:17 PMone more question. Is the transmitter complete? aren't they rounded up normally, rather than flat like this one?
Ahhh, now that you pointed it out, I just noticed the transmitter section is missing it's cover.  It should have a nearly flat, perforated plastic screen over the transmitter, which is missing. 

The earliest version had a different transmitter with a dome over it.  I think that's the rounded part you're talking about.  The domed transmitter (called a "bullet" transmitter) is more rare, and commands hefty prices, just because it's older, and more rare.  From what I've read about bullet transmitters, they aren't nearly as good as the transmitter cartridges which replaced them. 

If you would like to try for this one, you can get a replacement screen to cover the transmitter cartridge from oldphoneworks for $4.

Here's a photo of a bullet transmitter:

= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Steve;
I also had put a watch on that handset If you are serious about it, I will not bid against you, if however you are not really interested let me know.
I would like to work out a system of sorts where we here on the forum would not be knowingly bidding against each other. I know that would be very hard to accomplish, but this is a start.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

McHeath

QuoteI would like to work out a system of sorts where we here on the forum would not be knowingly bidding against each other. I know that would be very hard to accomplish, but this is a start.

An interesting and useful idea Mr. D/P.  Of course I know better than to bid against you, because you have The Powerâ„¢ when it comes to winning e-bay auctions for shockingly low prices!

BDM

Quote from: bingster on December 28, 2008, 11:33:54 PM

The earliest version had a different transmitter with a dome over it.  I think that's the rounded part you're talking about.  The domed transmitter (called a "bullet" transmitter) is more rare, and commands hefty prices, just because it's older, and more rare.  From what I've read about bullet transmitters, they aren't nearly as good as the transmitter cartridges which replaced them. 

Boy ain't that the truth! I have about 11 different examples of those transmitters. NONE of them sound good, at least by todays standards. They work, and you could easily carry on a conversation. But.........It's not long before someone comments about your phones sound quality.

BTW, Ma Bell couldn't swap those out fast enough with the F1 cartridge, and later the F1 handset.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI