News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Cradle Desk Phone

Started by wds, November 08, 2013, 08:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I picked this up from Ebay and can't wait to get it.  The only thing that appears missing on the phone is the mouthpiece.  I can't find any information about this style phone - does anyone have one, or know what year this is from and a model #?
Dave

Contempra

normaly you should be asking to the seller wds ...he sells the phone and he should having the informations about this phone ;) .....But i'm just a newbie here....good luck for finding the mouthpiece..

EDIT: nice piece of phone wds.

wds

Seller doesn't know anything about this phone.  Most sellers are people that dig this stuff up at flea markets and peddle it on Ebay.  I was happy to win this phone - seems like a pretty rare phone that should have sold for much more than i paid for it.  I know that the base is from one of their Candlestick phones, from around 1900.  Very similar to a couple American Electric c/s I have.
Dave

rdelius

Not 100% sure the handset is correct. There is uasually a diagram with a model number pasted inside the telephone on the bottom cover

stub

Dave,
          Here you go on pg. 4 and 5, American Electric Bulletin No 65-C , L B and C B. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

The AE Librarian has come through again! Good work Stub.

Terry

wds

Yes, thank you Stub!  Looks like the phone has the wrong handset, but it shouldn't be too hard to find the correct one.  I'm curious to see who the maker of this handset is.  (is that grammatically correct?)
Dave

Contempra

Quote from: wds on November 08, 2013, 09:25:11 AM
Seller doesn't know anything about this phone.  Most sellers are people that dig this stuff up at flea markets and peddle it on Ebay.  I was happy to win this phone - seems like a pretty rare phone that should have sold for much more than i paid for it.  I know that the base is from one of their Candlestick phones, from around 1900.  Very similar to a couple American Electric c/s I have.

Absolutely wds. ;)

Doug Rose

Dave...handset looks like a Kellogg. It has the hanger hook on the top of the phone. It still looks fine on your phone. You can find reproduction mouth pieces that will look great on this....Great find!! ..Doug
Kidphone

wds

Phone came today.  Looks just like the pictures.  Hook switch works correctly which is a big relief.  Need to straighten out the cradle - the bakelite plug for the hole in the base was inside the base.  The handset has a "CW" stamped on it - anyone know who that is?  Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

wds

The base and the shaft are steel.  The two collars and the cradle is brass.  I'm pretty sure the base and shaft used to be black.  There must have been a nickle plating under the black paint.  I don't think it was re-plated nickel because I can see specks of black, and the insides is black.  Someone removed the black paint to get to the nickel.  Doesn't look bad this way - not sure if I will leave it alone or paint it black again.
Dave