News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craiglook and almost birthday phone

Started by HarrySmith, October 20, 2010, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Last week I went on craiglook and contacted a bunch of sellers on phones. I convinced 6 to ship me a phone priority mail medium flat rate. I got 5 500's and a 354 for between $20 & $30 each. The first 2 arrived today. Both Black 500's, first with metal fingerwheel and blacked out date. When I turned the second one over I almost fainted, 6/57, my birthday! I quickly opened it up and found ringer & network also dated 6/57, my heart was racing! As I went for the dial screws my heart dropped, I could tell by the wires it was a newer dial, sure enough, 12/65! Case 1966, trans 1964 and I cannot get the reciever cap off yet but it really does not matter now. Anybody got 6/57 parts to complete my birthday phone??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

Harry,

That was a close birthday phone for me. Well sort of close. I should be receiving a black 500 that is one month from off from my BD of 2/57.

I don't have a 57 anything yet.

Are you searching the old way on Craigslist? My bookmarked Craigslist search doesn't work now.

Debbie

Debbie

HarrySmith

Hey Debbie, Thanks! I used craiglook last week but they were shut down this past weekend. There are several other sites out there that will search all of Craigs list but not as well. Try a Google search.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Got another craiglook phone today. Black 1954 354. Not bad, looks all original with straight handset cord on F1. Apparently the seller did not bother to read my detailed instructions on shipping but I got lucky since it remained intact. I told him to wrap phone & handset seperately in bubble wrap and pack handset next to phone, not on it. Then shake box, if there is movement pack more stuffing. I got the phone in a plastic grocery bag with no other packing material! At least he removed the handset and layed it in the box next to the phone ???
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

baldopeacock

Dewdrop, your avatar pic gives me a chuckle every time I see it.   Where did you find that?

Dewdrop

baldopeacock,

Shoot, I can't remember. I searched "woman on phone" photo. I used the Elliptical Marquee Tool in PhotoShop and cropped her, then added a little color. The colors I used remind of the 50's.

She looks like she is enjoying some juicy gossip. I wish I had the straight handset cord she is using.

Debbie
Debbie

KeithB

Dewdrop

That's the cut, but that's not where I found it. That one is actually a better and larger image than the one I found.

Debbie
Debbie

baldopeacock

Just seems like June Lockhart should be on the other end of that conversation, just before she finds out Timmy's in the well again.