News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a WE Gray Straight Handset Cord?

Started by Doug Rose, November 24, 2012, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on a damaged 302 that I was parting out. The cord is in really nice shape and is in working condition. Is this a straight gray handset cord that went on the early softplastic 500 sets?Black cord is just there for color comparison......thanks....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Looks like it was butchered a bit for the 302 modification.  Looks like one of the long white conductors on the handset end was snipped.  The leads at the phone end are rather short.  The restraint looks like an add-on too...not the typical restraint hook for a 500 set.  I'll bet one could re-modify it for 500 use again.

LarryInMichigan

Is there another white wire hiding inside the cord?  On the phone side of the cord, it looks like there once was a restraint crimped over it.  I agree with Dennis's assessment.

Larry

Doug Rose

Good call Larry! There is another white wire that some dummy cut!  Cord is in really nice shape, I'll post it on eBay tomorrow....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 24, 2012, 05:55:19 PM
Looks like it was butchered a bit for the 302 modification.  Looks like one of the long white conductors on the handset end was snipped.  The leads at the phone end are rather short.  The restraint looks like an add-on too...not the typical restraint hook for a 500 set.  I'll bet one could re-modify it for 500 use again.

Dennis:
Back in the day, we did that to a green cord that had a missing white lead. Remember?
Jorge

Dennis Markham

I do remember that Jorge.  Your memory is better than mine though.  I never would have recalled that it was a Green cord.  That cord could be made to work as I'm sure Doug knows.  It will dress up an early colored 500 set.  Hopefully the overall length is close to an original.

LarryInMichigan

This cord could still be used on a 500 with three wires.  One of the white wires is connected together with the red on the network anyway, so you could run a wire inside the handset from the terminal on the transmitter cup with the red wire on it to one side of the receiver.

Larry

Doug Rose

Cord is approx 4' long and in really nice shape....Doug
Kidphone