News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

General state of the market

Started by Texas1880, April 01, 2019, 05:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas1880

Following. Maybe it's just me, but after being out of collecting for a decade or more, and dusting off my 20 or so phones, and putting some up for sale, it seems that they just don't get what  they used to? I've got a 1938 all matching set with a metal base, 302, with a seamless f1 handset, nice brown cords, and a 4h dial, starting at 153 and a buy it now at 227. I'm guessing that's too high. And my 500s, which are all omg excellent shape, not soft plastic though,  beige, red, green and black from 35 to 75 and no action for 3 weeks or so. I do have a soft plastic black, all matching from 55, with a metal fingerwheel, for 125. Nothing. I did get an offer on my 102 B1, seamless E1, with the 9 line inscription, 4h dial, serviceable cords, tested on a subset(but no subset included), for 130, which I declined, as I want 195. Curious what people think about those prices, and the general state of the phone collector market. I'll just keep my phones if I don't get what I want, it's just I don't need 25 of the things! I'm keeping 12 or so for rotating stock in my house to use with the Panasonic 308 I just bought.

Key2871

Some may disagree with me, but eBay has flooded the market with all sorts of things that people used to think we're hard to find, thus driving the prices, sometimes high.
But since eBay has "everything you need" the market and prices thing fetch now has dropped to rock bottom in some cases, some cases driving the price through the roof.

I used to have a substantial phone collection, but a divorce and a major life change made me sell all those beauties off so I could live. So the advent of internet has provided a source for people to learn more about old phones and how much they are worth, some still asking a kings ransoms while others just want to get rid of those phones for what they can get.
Yes it's crazy how much some ask for a basic 500 set in black, calling them rare. Only rare because rotary is out, along with Ma Bell so they must be rare... Just like payphones, some are calling them rare simply because ninty nine percent have disappeared, because of the cell phone.
I had a good collection of Princess phone's, most of I got reasonable, when I had to sell them, I got Penny's on the dollar for what I paid. But that's how the market is.
KEN

RotarDad

I love the economics stuff, and EBay is a great example of improving "market efficiency".  By more easily bringing buyers and sellers together, a more accurate assessment of price and value is possible.  Also more people get what they want over time (buyers and sellers).

Items that were once considered rare, may now be considered more common as more and more examples get found and listed for sale.  Also, collectors can sell or buy items easily without driving to shows, spending hours hunting, etc.....

There were probably 100 million model 500s made.  They are not rare, but finding the model, color, or year you wanted would have been more daunting 25 years ago.  Today you can cruise EBay, Etsy, and other sites and easily find examples to choose from.   If a phone doesn't sell at a certain price, and there are good photos and an accurate description, then the price is probably just too high in the current market.

Back to economics, a better, more efficient market will always act to (edit) move price to a truer reflection of an item's value.  Also, a product that has the interest mainly of an aging group (us... 😉), will generally decline in value.  Of course, certain rare and desirable items may buck that trend and rise in price over time.   It's always, always about supply (what's available to buy at a certain price) and demand (who's willing to pay that price).
Paul

Key2871

That last post reminded me of a yard sale I went to about fifteen years ago, and I saw a very common 2702, in pink.
It had something loose inside but I inquired about the price, was promptly told $85.00.. to that I laughed and said those are eBay prices.. he said yea that's what there selling for on eBay. To that I said, maybe some are trying to get that, but that's too high for yardsale prices. I said I have one at home right now, I paid less than $25.00 for, and I have several other colors I paid less for.
He said you want it, buy it other wise put it down. I did just that, and said get your gun, your going to need it charging those prices..
KEN

Sargeguy

Land lines are in decline, and if you still have one, it is harder to get a phone fully functional on VOIP etc.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RotarDad

That's a great point Greg.  With declining land line use, it may be harder to find the average person who just wants to buy a shiny old phone to use as a novelty or for nostalgia.  I believe about half of US homes don't have a landline anymore.  And many have switched to alternative providers so the rotary dial won't work.  For me it's either the Panasonic 616 or my Xlink to connect to my cell phone....no more copper wires to plug into.

Ken, that is also an excellent point.  My below post was incorrect in saying efficient markets always lower price.  I should have said that more efficient markets will generate more sales at "correct" prices (prices that represent the true value of the item).  In the case of a very limited buyer pool (garage sale), sellers usually have to accept a lower price (under value) if they wish to unload an item.  You can't get EBay prices with 25 people looking at an item on your driveway.  The buyers know you are clearing out stuff, anxious to sell and are killing a Saturday to do it....  :)
Paul

Texas1880

Quote from: FABphones on April 02, 2019, 03:28:45 AM
Could you add a photo to this thread of the '9 line inscription'? Thanks.

Sargeguy

Another factor is the cost of shipping.  A $15 phone becomes a $35 phone pretty quickly when you factor in shipping costs. 

I find myself leaving a lot of stuff on the curb because of the hassle of trying to sell it.  I have found that even if I offer items at fire sale prices, some buyers will ask lots of questions, want more pictures and try to talk me down on the price:  "The 302 has scratches on the case" "That's why I am selling it for $5" "I'll give you $15 shipped" etc. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409