"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Will not Work Western 193G

Started by a1parrothead, December 16, 2012, 06:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1parrothead

Hello to all,

As will become painfully apparent to all of you, I am completely new to all of this. I have a Western Electric 193G 3 coin payphone. I understand that I will probably never be able to use the coin function. But I have hooked it up to my phone jack using a 2 wire plug, the center red and green wires only.

It works fine with dialing and talking but will not ring. Is there a fix for this? I read about moving only one wire on some smaller rotary phones to make them ring. Is there a wire I can move or something?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jeff

(Also, I said above that I knew I probably would never be able to use the coin part. I read that on the internet. Is it true, or is it possible?)

LarryInMichigan

Those phones did not have internal ringers.  Does yours have a ringer?

Larry

a1parrothead

Larry,
  When I take off the front and flip it over, it has a bell in it. I assumed this was the ringer??

DavePEI

Quote from: a1parrothead on December 16, 2012, 06:34:07 PM
Larry,
 When I take off the front and flip it over, it has a bell in it. I assumed this was the ringer??
No, Larry is correct. If the thing you think is a ringer is located inside the front cover, it is the dime and nickel gong, not a ringer. Close to is is a coiled gong, which is for the quarter sound.

These give the ding, ding ding, and Bong sounds when you drop a nickel, dime and quarter into the phone.

Unless you are prepared to purchase a quite expensive controller for the phone (200-300), you will not be able to get it to work as a payphone. Enjoy it as a phone only.

As far as ringing, an external ringer can be used with it... You can get cheap ones at Radio Shack, plug the ringer into the line, then the phone into the ringer.

With some modifications, a small ringer and capacitor can be fitted into the case, but if you want to keep the phone original, you are best to go with the external ringer option.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

a1parrothead

Thanks Dave. I will just enjoy it as is!
Jeff