Main Menu

AE 40 Base code N 4071 BO Ty. 9

Started by stub, July 15, 2013, 11:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Here's a non-dial 40 with signal button. How was it used?  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

40's with the little button turn up occasionally. I have heard them referred to as 41 sets but there may not be anything official about that. I always assumed the button was like the one in AE 47 sets that was capable of several functions such as a 3rd line, exclusion or push button for grd start or simple buzzer circuit. This one looks more limited.

There was at least 1 AE and/or Leich PBX that required stations to have a push button to obtain an outside line. These PBx's were older than AE 80's so this phone may have been for those PBX's. They were 24VDC pbx's as well so that may be why this diagram references external battery.

All just guesses.
Terry

poplar1

According to the wiring diagram, pushing the button puts 24 VDC across L1 and L2. Since there is another battery shown--3 volts--in series with the transmitter circuit for talking, this 24-Volt battery is for something else. My guess is that it is for signaling the operator.

There were also phones that used the "kick" from a capacitor to signal the operator.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Since it does not have a dial, for use on a manual PBX or CO line that is different than most in that it doesn't recognize an off hook as a call for service? There were magneto cO boards that were configured to work with magneto and common battery phones at the same time. Could this be a phone for something like that? Push button sends DC to operate a modified magneto drop at the CO in lieu of cranking a  Magneto in the phone. No battery from CO thus the 3V talk battery.

Still all guesses
Terry