News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with Amphenol Connectors for 1A1/1A2 Key Phones

Started by RotarDad, January 12, 2013, 01:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I made up an advertisement in the Classified section to find homes for a few extra sets of Amphenol Plug Installation Tools that I have here.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8526.0

Terry

G-Man

There are any number of ways to accomplish interfacing a 25-pair male line cord terminated with an Amphenol connector.

One method would be to use adapters such as the 258AF/BF. However they do not appear to be readily available (at the moment at least) on the e-Place. The same with other adapters that are capable of accomplishing this task.

There is an another adapter currently on eBay that would allow connecting any or all five lines via standard modular line cords:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Tel-AT125-SM-Phone-Bridging-Adaptor-/330849896807?pt=Other_Telecom_Equipment&hash=item4d0830c967

Of course the cheapest way would be to use a stub of 25-pair cable with a female connector on one end and the wires left unterminated on the other. Connecting standard modular jacks to the Blue/White pair for line-1 and Brown/White for line-2 would allow plugging standard line cords into your pots and Panasonic ports. You could also terminate them with RJ-11 modular plugs.

If you decide to go the Allen Tel route, here are the ports as shown on the adapter, to plug the cords into for each line:

26/1   =   Line 1 – Blue/White - White/Blue (BL-W/W-BL)
29/4   =   Line 2 – Brown/White – White/Brown (BR-W/W-Br)
32/7   =   Line 3 – Orange/Red – Red/Orange (O-R/R-O)
35/10 =   Line 4 – Slate/Red – Red/Slate (S-R/R-S)
38/13 =   Line 5 – Green/Black – Black Green (G-BK/BK-G)

RotarDad

I've ordered one of the 3M Voicedata Universal Female plugs I posted earlier.  It was about $8 shipped.   I'll report back on how it works.  Thanks again to all who contributed information - it is much appreciated.  It would be very cool to have the lights and features work too someday......  but for now, I'll keep the project small!
Paul

G-Man

Quote from: RotarDad on January 16, 2013, 11:08:57 PM
I've ordered of the 3M Voicedata Universal Female plugs I posted earlier.  It was about $8 shipped.   I'll report back on how it works.  Thanks again to all who contributed information - it is much appreciated.  It would be very cool to have the lights and features work too someday......  but for now, I'll keep the project small!

That should work fine.

Using an insertion tool you can attach only the wires that you actually need. I seem to recall that the idc connections will only accommodate 24-gauge conductors.

You will be able to connect the other end of the wire to regular RJ-11 jacks, allowing you to plug the sets lines into your Panasonic equipment and incoming lines.

As a side-note I believe the reason 3M discontinued manufacturing them is because of a dispute with Amphenol.      

G-Man

Haven't heard how you made out with attaching the wires to the idc terminals of the plug you purchased on the e-place.

Is your key-set up and running?

Did the diagrams help?