News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 250 AA1 and WE 307 H7 phones as intercom

Started by trainman, April 23, 2011, 08:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

I picked up a 250 AA1 common battery set and magneto, as well as a 307 H7 local battery and magneto. I was trying to figure out how to make the two work together as intercoms. Or would I be better off to get the other 307 and have two local battery phones connected together?

Will the common battery set work if connected to the local batery's L1 and L2?

The magneto's would simply be used to ring the other magneto, as I don't think they'll ring the ringers in the phone.

Babybearjs

check the magneto box... what is the model number?? if its a 315... with a #22A magneto, it wont ring the bells. I have one and it only put out 48 Volts... the bells use 90 volts... the phones you have I have too... I took the 250 and rebuilt it into a 302... and rewired the 307 to common battery service. you should be able to connect them both together with a 3 volt battery supply to get them to work....  one easy solution is to get a WE 207C intercom module and use that, but that gets more complicated because of power issues.. (needs multiple voltages) so the battery idea is the easiest. good luck with your project!   John
John

dsk

Generally a magneto telephone may ring the other telephone even a non magnet telephone.
Just connect the lines.
The Magneto use local battery (usually 3V ) to power the transmitter. The other could listen.
To power the transmitter in the 250 you could make an arrangement of a 3V battery in series with a coil and a switch, connect this simple circuit in parallel with the transmitter, and you have a high quality LB speech circuit.
To ring the magneto telephone, you may need a magneto, or other source of AC ringing current source.

If you have a wiring diagram for the 250, I may look at the possibilities.

dsk

trainman

I since picked up Ralp Meyer's book Old Time Telephones and I am gaining more insight into phones in general.

I really think my 250 is just a manual 302. It has a coil, ringer, capacitor and is common battery wired. The phone is unmarked.

I did however get my  manual 307 and my manual 102 with 300k magneto wired together for a test. Test succesful. However ringer in the 307 has an open coil. No biggie, if used with a magneto with ringer, however these sets usually came with the 299F magneto box, no ringer.