News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringing the bells

Started by royalbox, January 12, 2019, 11:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalbox

The PowerDsine ring generators have arrived. They're smaller than I though just over an inch square. They work, but they build-up over the first half second or so. Maybe because they're only 50V output, I don't know. We already knew this was on the low side.

The inhibit line is low (0V) and stops the bells when connected to the +12V in.

I don't know how the F0 and F1 outputs work. I know they're to do with changing the frequency as these units run at 17/20/25Hz. They output AC just like the outputs but at a much lower voltage. F0 measured ~2.25V and F1 ~2.8V. Any thoughts on that would be welcome.

EDIT: Just for reference, I measured about 75mA on the DC side while the bells were ringing. The bell coils on the phone tested are the later 2000 Ohm ones, so 4K Ohm total, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Can't find any datasheet online for these. They have a date on the side of: Feb 98.

royalbox

Here's a short clip of the phone ringing with US and UK cadence with the ring generator. As you will hear, the build-up effect is not great especially on the short UK rings.
Next test will be on a trimphone, I'm hoping it will be better on one of those.

I haven't got the equipment to do decent videos and the sound quality is poor, sorry about that.

TelePlay

I asked the seller for a circuit diagram of the device and he gave me a link to what seems to be the general data sheet covering more than one type of these ring generators.

https://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/227078/ETC2/PCR-SIN15V48F00.html

A copy of the 6 page document is attached in PDF format. I have not looked through it in detail so don't know much about it. If interested, here it is.

royalbox

Thanks for posting that. It's not quite the same but still useful.

I don't know what I did but one of mine has let off the magic smoke and died.

I did get to try it on a trimphone before it died and it worked. There's a noticeable delay between pushing the button and it sounding maybe 100 milliseconds at a guess. When the on time for a UK ring is only 400 milliseconds it makes a big difference. It does say in the PDF you posted that you should use the inhibit wire to control cadence as this ensures that the output starts and stops at a zero crossing. Maybe it will be less of a delay too but reluctant to try it at the moment in case I ruin another one. Really would like to learn to make one. Anyway, will post any updates if I find anything interesting.