News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I can't stop buying phones - Redbar just arrived

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 21, 2009, 09:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I received the Select-o-phone Redbar today, and it looks to be in very good condition, but there is no dial tone.  I see that the coil module is marked "36-A", and the wiring diagram for the standard redbar shows coil "113-A".  Does anyone know what the difference is?  Do I need to change the coil module to make this work on a normal phone line?

Larry

Jim Stettler

ISTM that a select-o-phone can't be easily modified to be a regular phone. I think the dial works differently also.

I would just keep it original and try to find a sales demo select-o-phone unit (long shot), if you want to make it work.

I saw a sales demo unit in action at a phone show once. You could use it for home or business automation. You could make phone calls, turn on lights, activate buzzers ect.

Select-o-phones were originally made by screw machine products co. and date back to 1916. They were eventually bought by Kellogg and I think the demo unit I saw was a Kellogg-ITT (1952).
Over the years I have seen 6-8 different select-o-phones change hands including metal wall phones, candlesticks, an AE round base and others.

There was also another company called Select-a-phone. This company was separate and not affiliated with select-o-phone.
To further confuse the issue there was also a selectaphone company that wasn't affiliated with either.

The company info comes from ATCA "Fact Sheets". These were published years ago with the info coming from company publications. Sadly the publications aren't referenced on the fact sheets.

Jim S.

>>EDIT>>   11/23/21   I think ATCA has the fact sheets online now. I also think they list the sources now. I am not sure though <<EDIT<<
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

talkingtime

My working Kellogg redbar has the number 113-a coil.