News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hooray Hooray, My Long Long Trailer Arrives Today!

Started by HobieSport, March 12, 2009, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HobieSport

Seems like the good canned ham trailers are getting hard to find for reasonable prices.  What length are you looking for, Steve?

Funny story; Scott Lockwood, owner of the Birchwood Beauties vintage trailer company, who delivered my trailer today had an interesting adventure involving furry forest creatures:  We were talking about how I could turn a small patched area where a hole was cut for an air conditioner into a cat door.  He said that was a good idea and he had done the same thing himself with his Silver Streak company office trailer.  However, seven local possums decided that it was in fact a "possum door" and moved in one night, ate the cat food, curled up in a big ball and went to sleep.  This may be a problem as I do have a forest next door with possums, skunks, racoons, foxes and squirrels.  Hmm. :P

Dennis Markham

Congrats Hobie!  I can't wait to see all the things you'll do to fix her up in the future.  We're going to have to find you a Turquoise 500 to put inside.

HobieSport

Quote from: Dennis Markham
We're going to have to find you a Turquoise 500 to put inside.

Yes, Dennis and it would be my first colored phone. :)

mienaichizu

do you have a 50's car to match with it? hehehe......

nice trailer!

bingster

I have a '51 Packard I'll sell you to pull it with. ;D
= DARRIN =

HobieSport

This trailer ain't goin' nowhere.  It's my home!

bingster

Now, Matt... You know as well as I do that owning a trailer like that is an experience.  And that experience is incomplete until you've hauled it, loaded down with boulders, over a mountain range, behind a vintage car.  Get started, boy!
= DARRIN =

Bill Cahill

Congrats on your new home. May we see pictures?
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

McHeath

HobieSport

Actually Heath that's just a picture of a cat and a possum that I snagged from the web.  My own cat is way too lazy to go around hanging out with those highly energetic possum types. ;)

Bill; the pictures of the trailer interior are at the beginning of this thread.

Ellen; I bought three of the good old Revere Ware pots with lids for $8 each from the Ebay link that you posted here, with combined shipping.  About a third of the price of buying the new thin stuff.  Thanks for the good advice!  Now all I need is a frypan and lid and a big pot for pasta, soups, etc.. :)

Bingster;  Is this an acceptable method for moving a trailer? ;)

Ellen

IMHO, frying pans should be cast iron - lots on ebay; and Revere made a lot of big stock pots; vertical and horizontal (Dutch oven).  Don't bother with their pressure cooker unless you know how to make a new gasket for it.

I have 3 phones in process here.  How did I get into this, again?  The AE40 on the desk really does need a SL ringer, which D/P is sending, I want this green Northern 500 on the desk next to the AE so I can feel like a movie mogul but it needs a ringer also, and the ivory wall thing goes downstairs (basement), but hasn't yet.  Gardening season is coming on ...

McHeath

Gotta watch them old phones, they creep up on you and before you know they are all over the house!

That car/trailer flying in the air picture must be from the 80s, the Era Of Flying Car Crashes.  Is it from the A-Team by any chance?

HobieSport

Heath, the flying car and trailer are from the modern British version of the car show; "Top Gear".  Great fun.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/

Ellen, I like cast iron fry pans and dutch ovens too, and I'll use them on the campfire/bbq outside the trailer, but I think I'd like the lighter and quick-heating Revere Ware stainless steel and copper pan and big pot for use in the trailer kitchen.

Trailer utilities-wise, I found a good efficient electric instant water heater, and it never gets very cold here in our North Calif Coast climate, so I can run everything on electricity.  Propane is really expensive here.  I'm glad because this simplifies my hookup and monthly utilities, plus, I never really liked highly explosive gas in a trailer.  I do like to cook with gas, but a couple simple electric hotplates are just fine too.  I did find a cool stainless steel toaster oven in perfect condition from the mid 1960s.  I'm going to go without a microwave.  I want the kitchen simple, and it is quite small.  I like to cook, but I keep it simple.

Remember, this whole 1950s trailer thing is just to make the phones feel at home. :D

Steve

H.S.

I was looking for a shasta type trailer, between 18 and 25 foot. the slow economy hasn't seemed to dampen the prices much.

I'm just looking for something for weekend camping as my wife refuses to sleep in a tent.

the price on your trailer was a real bargain, and IMHO you should have been wearing a mask when you made that deal ;D  we still need some more pics BTW.
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

AET

Love the Trailer!!!  Absolutely awesome, and totally rekindled my dreams of my 50's ranch home.  With the lannon stone and red barn-board, wrought iron porch posts, and big picture windows!  Just heaven on earth!!

Love the interior, the honey finish is awesome!  We had cabinets just like that in my old house with a pink tile backspash, chrome edging around the gray marble-look countertops, and of course the chrome exhaust fan above the oven that looked like it came out of a 1954 pontiac.  Pretty obvious when the kitchen was redone in that 1870s house.  My folks hated it and I loved it.

The big windows and everything, just scream 50s on that trailer, I'm pretty sure there's a few of those left down by where I live too.  This used to be a middle-class vacation home area, and there's lots of 50s style trailer houses and our cabin my grandpa actually build himself in 1958, great example of numerous floor to ceiling windows, I'll have to get some pics!
- Tom