"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 80 Won't ring

Started by Dan, October 10, 2009, 09:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Dan:

I will try my version of the circuit with one of my phones. I will report tomorrow, since you are a couple of hours ahead.

To answer your question, yes, that is all we have done.

Good night Dan.
Jorge

Phonesrfun

Jorge and Dan:

I have been following along, and what Jorge has suggested should work.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

I hope the capacitor isn't faulty. Goodnite
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

If it is bad, I have a ton of them, plus you can get one that will work at Radio Shack.  So, not to worry.
-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Hi Dan and Bill:

It took just a few minutes to rewire my AE80 per the suggestions I have made and it rings loud and clear.

Now, we need to test the capacitor and the ringer to make sure they work.

How comfortable do you feel about moving these AE parts to a WE phone and trying them out? Just remove the C4A ringer from the network and connect one terminal from the yellow capacitor and one lead from the ringer to G. Connect the other end of the capacitor to L1 and the other lead from the ringer to L2. It should ring.

Do you have a DVM to check the capacitor and the ringer? The capacitor should show infinite resistance and the resistance between the green and red leads of the ringer should be in the order of 4000 Ohms.

Also, there should be a dead short between terminals 15 and 10 on your AE phone.

Another test you could try is to remove the capacitor and ringer from the phone and connect them directly across the phone line and use your cell to call your home. You will need some test jumpers to do this. Don't try this by holding the components with your hands or you may get shocked.

Do you have 5 phones already connected to your home and the test phone is your sixth phone? There may not be enough juice left to make this one ring.

The soap opera (As the dial returns) continues tomorrow with another episode ....
Jorge

Dan

I don't have too many phones attached. I have a nice voltmeter. I can also move the parts around. I'll get on this tonight after work. Thanks for the suggestions.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dan

I'm sick! Will try wed, to be continued......

JorgeAmely

Sick??? Since when a disease stops you from working on a phone?
Jorge

McHeath

That's right, sick is when you get to work on the phones even more!!   ;)

Hope you get better soon.

Dan

I'm back, the 24 hour bug is over--no H1N1 thank God.

Ok, I moved the capacitor to the WE500 network. Placed the one end of it on G, the other on L1. Placed the green bell wire of the AE on L2 and the red on G as you said, still no ring.  Is this correct so far?

Next I will post voltmeter results

Dan

between 15 and 10, the DVM reads 5.21. Between the ends of the capacitor, it reads infinite

4200 Ohms between the red and green ends of the ringer

JorgeAmely

Dan:

The number for the capacitor seems good. Infinite resistance.

The ringer is 4000 ohms nominal: 4200 is OK.

In the network, there is a built-in short between 15 and 10. Your number seems OK.

When you moved the components to the WE500, was the handset on the cradle when you tested it?

Did you try replacing the WE500 capacitor with the AE capacitor only? The AE ringer instead of the WE500 ringer only? It is important to introduce one variable change at a time, because it is highly unlikely that both components are bad.

The soap opera continues ...
Jorge

Dan

Hey Jorge, I made sure the WE500 was in the hangup position to test the bells. I just moved the wires like you asked me from the 11:11 Oct 12 quote. In this position it appears that the capacitor and bells are being tested simultaneously. Are you saying I should just test the bells without the capacitor? Would this consist of simply unhooking the WE bells off the  WE500 network  and attaching the AE80 red wire on L1 and the green on L2  on the WE500 network and then seeing if it would ring?

Phonesrfun

Dan:

Because the WE has a split ringer winding it has 4 wires and the AE ringer only has 2.  So,  it has to be wired slightly differently.  I would start with the following set-up which will test the AE ringer, using the WE capacitor inside the network:

Connect the AE ringer red wire to L2 on the Western network.  Connect the green wire to A on the network.  Run a jumper wire between K on the network and L1 on the network.  In the WE network, the capacitor is wired inside to A and K.

See if the ringer rings, and then you can go on to the next step of testing the AE capacitor.

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

Dan:

Replace the WE capacitor with the AE capacitor and see if it rings. Then replace the WE ringer with the AE ringer to see if it rings. However, the C4A ringer is split in two coils and the WE capacitor sits in the middle, all three elements in series, so be careful how you wire in the AE ringer.

To test your AE ringer in the WE phone, remove the C4A ringer, then connect the AE ringer between L1 and A, then connect a small jumper between K and L2.

To test your AE capacitor in the WE phone, disconnect the wires going to A and K. Attach your AE capacitor to those leads you disconnected and leave terminals A and K alone.

Jorge