"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lightning Strikes Twice--Soft Plastic Yellow 500

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, August 07, 2014, 10:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151373818202?txnId=0

After I saw the 1958 date stamp on the network, yellow six-hole reciever cap peeking out from under the black paint, and the $20 BiN price, I just had to have it! I pleaded with my parents that I would do anything to get that phone. Long story short, I happily agreed to pull weeds around the house!!! :D Since I'm pretty sure that it's covered in spraypaint (and not that demon-like coating called Polane) removing the paint should be a breeze, with a little soaking in 'LA's totally awesome' overnight.

What are the odds that I have been indirectly searching for a yellow soft plastic 500 for the entire year that I've been collecting, and I happen to find two of them in the same 7-day period!?
(Link to previous discussion about my '56 yellow 500: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12381.0)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

Pulling weeds, eh...

I'm guessing this will be another 2-tone phone?

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 08, 2014, 12:36:12 AM
Pulling weeds, eh...

I'm guessing this will be another 2-tone phone?

Ben
Maybe for the time being, but as soon as I find a yellow dial bezel, it's immediately going on this phone! I have a trick that I might use to recycle the cords, so I'll probably have it looking 100% yellow before too long.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

I got it in the mail yesterday, and it appears to be a mish-mash of soft plastic parts. The handset is yellow, reciever cap light grey, transmitter cap ivory, and housing light beige. I'm surprised that they all appear to be soft plastic, because the cods are from '63. The color code on the sial is -60, which means that it was originally light beige, the color of the housing. I can't quite tell if the housing has polane paint or not, because it doesn't scratch off as easily as the handset paint.

I have some extra light beige parts, so I think I'll convert this set back into a '58 beige set, once I hopefully remove the housing paint.
Christian Petterson