News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Austrian Phone - Information Wanted

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 18, 2013, 04:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I just received this phone today: ebay link.  Of course, it was packed in a flimsy box with the handset sitting loosely in the cradle (why do I bother to provide sellers with packing instructions?).  Fortunately, it does not appear to have suffered much if any damage in transit.  The shell and handset are made of an ivory colored Plaskon type plastic.  The cords are vinyl.  There is a "68" on the label on the bottom, so I am wondering if this could have been made that late.  The transmitter and receiver elements both appear to be from 1972. 

The ringer clapper assembly pivots on a post and it was completely frozen in place, so I needed to pull it apart, clean the post with a rotary tool wire brush, and oil it.  The tone of the ringer is rather flat and harsh. 

The line cord has 10 wires, believe it or not.  It appears that the brown and white are for the L1/L1 (or "a/b" in European terms).  I did get a dial tone when I connected these wires to my line.  On the front of the phone is some sort of electrical indicator.  From what little I was able to find about this model, it was intended for party lines, so I am guessing that the indicator showed when the line was in use.

The bottom plate is attached to the shell with hinges on the back end and held with a single screw near the front.  To access that screw requires rotating a metal over which was held to the bottom plate with an official Austrian Post seal.  Apparently, the Austrian postal authorities did not like their subscribers opening the phones.

I would appreciate any information that forum members could provide.

Thank You

Larry

rdelius

Some of these were imported to the US as Dukane branded PABXs

paul

The circuit label says "Kapsch & Sons", which, apparently exists today as Kapsch AG which is still in the telecoms business.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: rdelius on July 18, 2013, 07:57:27 PM
Some of these were imported to the US as Dukane branded PABXs

I have seen the Dukane phones.  There is one on ebay now: ebay link.  This one was obviously produced for regular subscriber service in Austria as the sticker/seal on the bottom indicates.

I cleaned up the plastic parts, but the shell and handset are a bit discolored.  I will have to try the peroxide treatment, but I don't know if it will work on this type of plastic.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: paul on July 18, 2013, 07:59:57 PM
The circuit label says "Kapsch & Sons", which, apparently exists today as Kapsch AG which is still in the telecoms business.

That would explain the "K&S" which appears all over the place on the parts.

Larry

Haf

I researched your "Tischapparat 48" (desk telephone) from the  Österreischische (Austrian) Post- und Telegraphenverwaltung (ÖPT) and it's way complicated ;) I will do my very best do describe it to you in English.

Your phone was produced between 1948 and 1965 from two companies, Kapsch und Söhne and Schrack for the Autrian Post (Telecom). The sticker R 68 indicates that it was repariert (refurbished) 1968 from Kapsch and not like usual from the Fernmeldehauptwerkstätte  Wien.

Your phone has 10 wires (only 9 in need), so it was made for the Gesellschaftsleitungssystem GL48 (party line system) for Achtelanschlüsse (8 parties) working with a so called  "selectiv-lock-out" process. There is a so called "Beikasten" (subset) in need like this one (there where two versions, this is the newer one):
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/W_e_St/Misc_9/DSC04346.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/W_e_St/Misc_9/DSC04347.jpg

The "Schauzeichen" (what you called some sort of electrical indicator) has the resistance of 9500 ohms and another resistor in the subset with 18.000 ohms and indicates if the line is busy.
my electrical understanding an knowledge is little poor, sorry, maybe I can figure that out with dsk translating the German into English that it make sence for those who understand things like that :)

Regards from Germany, Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

LarryInMichigan

Thank you for the information.  Some of the internal parts have the name "Schrack" on them.  So this phone would have been connected to a subset to handle the party line operation and to supply the voltage for the Schauzeichen.  Just for fun, I connected 12VDC to the Schauzeichen, and the internal part rotated, revealing a white background.  When I removed the voltage, it slowly turned back to black.  I have seen these indicators on Dutch phones.  In fact, I just saw a Dutch PTT Standard multi-line business phone with these indicators at a local shop yesterday (I didn't buy the phone though).

I am glad that this phone works without the external box.

Larry

Haf

even with a "Beikasten" you can use the Phone as a single line phone when you move the S-relay in the subset to the upper position. I don't know if there is any possibility to use the Schauzeichen just with a  single line, but maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this. The voltage from telephone line should be enough, maybe it needs another resistor replacing the one in the subset. Then it should always turn white when making a call indicating a busy line. Would be nice if :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474