"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Top key for Western Electric payphone

Started by mharriger, February 13, 2017, 12:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mharriger

Hi!

About 15 years ago I bought a Western Electric payphone at an antique store. It did not come with any of the keys, so I have never been able to do anything with it. I recently found this forum and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I believe the phone is a Western Electric 1D2. It was owned by USWest Communications. The phone number on the little card under the hook is 402-721-9963. I know that for some areas, the top keys for all phones were the same, so can anyone here determine which key is needed based on that information?

If not, I have seen a post here where someone was able to read a code off of the back of the lock using a borescope, so I may go that route if needed.

A couple pics of the phone are attached, in case that helps. The damage to the lock is due to an experiment to see how hard it would be to drill the lock. I do believe that the lock will still operate though, I really wasn't able to drill into the plug at all.

Thanks!

mentalstampede

That looks like a standard WE lock. Getting the number off the back is probably the most straightforward route to getting into it.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

poplar1

402-721 is currently Fremont, Nebraska.

Looking up all 721- NXXs in Nebraska -- in case there have been splits of the original area code 402 --

Showing 1 - 5 of 5 Records
#  Area Code    Prefix      City    State    Zip     County         Company
1   308           721                    NE         
2   402           721     FREMONT    NE        68025    DODGE     QWEST CORPORATION
3   531           721     OMAHA    NE        68164    DOUGLAS     GREAT PLAINS BROADBAND, INC. - NE
4   531           721     OMAHA    NE        68122    DOUGLAS     GREAT PLAINS BROADBAND, INC. - NE
5   531           721     OMAHA    NE        68134    DOUGLAS   GREAT PLAINS BROADBAND, INC. - NE

So -- probably  Fremont (402-721) since the only other active 721- NXX in Nebraska is a broadband company.

The list shows "OMAHA" with 29A78 primary and 29A80 as alternate. I don't know if 29A78 was used statewide.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

mharriger

Thanks for all the info! Fremont is almost a suburb of Omaha, so I would bet that they used the same keys. I think I will still try to scope the back of the lock first.

I had seen contact info for Dick Pitzer on the board here, does anyone know if he is still making keys?

Thanks!

mentalstampede

It was indicated on here as recently as this past December that he is. I would suggest you contact him directly. And let us all know how your project works out!

Quote from: mharriger on February 14, 2017, 09:57:04 AM

I had seen contact info for Dick Pitzer on the board here, does anyone know if he is still making keys?

Thanks!
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mharriger

I was able to confirm that the lock is a 29A 78. I used a section of flexible LED strip lighting to really illuminate the inside of the phone, and then I used a small dental mirror to look at the back of the lock. I was just barely able to see the numbers well enough to confirm that it looked like a "78". I'm not sure if I would have been able to actually read it if I hadn't already known what number to expect, I was just barely able to see the last digit due to the angle and the mounting screw being in the way.

I sent Dick an email, I'll let you guys know when I get the key!

mvtel

I just want to confirm for you that 29A-78 is the correct key for Omaha and beyond, Dick will make it for you.  He is making keys once a month so most likely some time in March.

mharriger

I got the phone open using a key made by Richard. Had a little trouble getting the key to turn initially, I think due to the lock being a little bit damaged. After fiddling with it for a while, I got it to work. Thanks to everybody who helped me out with this.

Does anyone know what GAS might mean in relation to a payphone? It's written on the plastic shield that is part of the coin chute path, and it also appears a few places on the service record that was inside the phone. At first I assumed it might mean the phone was installed at a gas station, but looking at the address from the service record, there's no gas station there and it doesn't look like there ever was.