News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing Coin Box From locked 3 Slot Vault

Started by Payphone installer, February 26, 2017, 07:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Payphone installer

I have read on more then one occasion how you cannot remove the coin box from a locked 3 slot coin vault without destroying it. So I decided to give it a try. when collecting single slot payphones you ran across money boxes that were full that need collected. Often the coins were jammed all the way up to the lid so you could not remove the box because the trigger on the lid would not retract. So when you have a lower housing that you have removed from a 3 slot with a box in it you have the same problem. The trigger on the lid is set and cannot be released from the back. You also have the lid secured by the seal in the front,so what do you do? After much thought and my first attempt here is how I think you should proceed. First thing you do which is what you do with a full money box on a single slot with the door off is destroy the trigger that is holding the lid in place. So on your 3 slot you look in the back with a flash light. find the trigger on the right side,insert a screw driver until you are up against the trigger and hit it wit a hammer. Break it off. Once this is done push a screw driver under the box and pry the box up just enough to clear the edge. I cut the lid with a dremel tool but probably did not have to, once the trigger is broken you can pry the box at the top. The goal is to save the box. here is what my end result was I am sure in the future I can do this even better without destroying the box. Jim

Payphone installer

Minimal damage to box had to destroy lid but they are easy to find.  Pryint the top only is the best way to avoid damage to the important parts.

Payphone installer

notice broken trigger.

Payphone installer

Picture with large screwdriver placed on trigger at impact point. after the box was pulled I should hve photoed it before impact,but this is the position.

Payphone installer

Box after removal not bad for the first attempt this could be done with minal damage to the coin box. Lid will alwayshave to be destroyed.

Payphone installer

box after removed

mentalstampede

Great idea for dealing with this problem! This is the reason I leave the lids off coin boxes I put in my phone's.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein